1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Little help (Billing)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Skyking, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Is anyone charging per cut. I have a lot, not a lot but some that I cut every two weeks and some times that is three cuts and they think I have over charged them. ( weekly cuts as well )

2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

If you document your work , it is what it is. Customers can be a PIA. I have one customer , who is also my insurance agent, who aways questions my bill. So I set it up to have him email me when to cut and I schedule it when it suits me. If there is any questions when I cut I have the emails to prove that he asked for it. If he wasn't my insurance agent I would of blown him off. Its not worth it.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I charge per visit, some each week and others every two weeks...and a couple crap lawns get mowed as needed.
  4. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I do yearly contracts now so I have a steady income year round. I haven't had a problem with it so far.
  5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

That's the way to go. That eliminates the problem once in for all. Of course it takes some time to get a full customer base on yearly contracts.

I run into this problem once in a while. The best way is to send or leave a detailed bill with the customer at the end of each month. Make sure you include the dates of each service, and exactly what you did each visit. The customer can look at the dates of service and should see, and understand that some months they will have 5 visits if they are weekly, and 3visits if they are bi-weekly. I still get some that question as to why they had 5 visits that month, but after you explain once, they USUALLY understand. If you get paid each visit then there shouldn't be any mix up.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Get yourself a good accounting program like clip or quickbooks and bill all your costomers once a week or once a month do this and problem solved.:weightlifter:

If they still have a problem you will have documentation & can send or e-mail them a copy:nono:
  7. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

what i do is set up a yearly contract. we mow all year long. so i bill so much per month. if they are weekly or bi-weekly i charge them the same all year long if there is extra mows per month i don't charge for that .... i tell the customer that we charge monthly not per visit.... we just make sure they know that they are weekly or by-weekly ......this works for us.
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I left out the part about the billing software. Thanks Treeguard. When I said send them a detailed bill, I meant using some billing software. Always use a billing software so you can pull a history of each customer's account. Customer's are always impressed (or stunned) when I mail them a detailed account history for the entire year when they question a charge or service. Works every time. :clapping:
  9. MidwestLawnCare

MidwestLawnCare LawnSite Member

Recommandations for billing software used?
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Next time, tell him since you filed no claims this year, you would like your premiums refunded...