1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Little help for the dummy....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JShe8918, May 19, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

This is bad but i have never changed my blades before. I always let my dealer do it he doesn't charge me any extra to do it.... Well i had no means of transporting my scag today and have my high end accounts tommorrow. So i tried to change them my self. Well they vibrate. How do i balance them and also are they timed.... I know that is probably the dumbest question on the site. but any help would be much appreciated.... Thanks.

2. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

they sell a little balancer you can get it at home depot etc, and no they are not timed
  3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did/do you sharpen them, or does the dealer? I doubt that its the balance, I've never had to balance a blade yet.
  4. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I'm guessing that you don't have a balancing fixture...... Take them off, sharpen them until they LOOK balanced (and sharp) and try laying them over a pencil. Check them several times using the pencil, decide which side is heavier, and grind that side. Once the blade balances with the pencil pretty much dead in the center of the hole, break out the IPB and look up the part number for every bearing in the deck.......
    You really have to become an expert on every facet of equipment maintenance. As much as I respect our local experts, I can rebuild everything that I own (Except for the trucks) cheaper and quicker than the guys who are doing tune-ups on Sears push mowers at the Toro shop.

I don't know about the specific means of timing Scag blades, but if they are 90 degrees offset when they are sitting still, odds are that they'll clear each other just fine.
  5. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. so basically i need to take them back off and balanace them. Or could i have possibly not tightened them enough because i had to use a cheater bar to get them off and i didn't use it putting them back on....
  6. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

Maybe they were on upside down?
  7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

If the blades are not tight, they will vibrate.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Only chain-drive systems have timed blades, all belt-driven ones are exempt from this.
    So unless your mower drives the blades via a chain and gears, they are not timed.
  9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Not true. Gravely/Ariens made a ZTR that used a timed belt deck. I have one of those decks. Might be the only one to still exist. They worked fine as long as the belts held up. When the belt gave out, the blades would jump timing and come together. Usually resulting in destruction of the blades, spindles, or the whole deck. Gravely/Ariens replaced them with decks that weren't timed and didn't have blades that could come together. The timed deck used a cog tooth belt and pulleys. Like you would find in an automobile engine.
  10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I always balance the blades, the metal cone thing only costs $7 or something like that. It makes sense to me to keep something that spins so fast, balanced.