1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Little help from the pros, please...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jeffinsgf, May 23, 2007.

1. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing a little remodeling on my sprinkler system I installed a couple of years ago with help from you fine folks.

I am taking a zone with some awkward shapes in it and changing most of the heads to MP Rotators and adding a couple more. I think I have my flow and precip rates figured out OK. I started digging today, and ran into a little bit of a quandry. I have a lateral from the zone to be remodeled in the same trench with a lateral running to a drip zone around the corner. I have the point where I want to tie into the lateral dug up and the lines are side by side. I THINK I know which is which, but I really don't want to cut the wrong one.

Any bright ideas on how to confirm I am cutting the right line? If I start the zone, can I feel a difference in the lines (while I am taking a shower)? The lines are 1" Class 200 PVC.
  2. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

For future reference, when laying two lines in the same trench don't lay them next to or on top of each other always leave some space.

Anyhow, activate the valve/zone/station without the drip lines on it and you should be able to tell just by feel.

Also, make sure you dig out enough length of the pipes to stick and old piece of pipe between them so that you can work easier.

Good Luck
  3. Midlo Snow Maker

Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member

follow the feed from the head back to the pipe to tell which one it is
  4. jeffinsgf

Well, not only did I put the lines in the same trench, at some point between the valve box and the point where I dug it up, I crossed the lines. I assumed (ouch!) that the lines were left/right at the point where I dug them up and as the were leaving the valve box. I drilled a tiny hole in the line I thought was the one one I wanted to cut, and of course it was the wrong one (never let me pick your Lotto numbers and never go with me to Vegas).

After I cut in and added my new additions, I cut a union in half and then cut about a third out of its circumference. I used that to patch the tiny hole. I'll check it several times before I backfill.

Anyone else patched like this, or should I bit the bullet, cut the line, and put in a couple of unions?
  5. Kind of the same principal as a glue on saddle tee... if it holds then fine if not you will know....
  6. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

throw a gear clamp around it so it doesn't move.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Old plumbers trick (if galvanized or thick walled PVC): After drilling the small hole it can be patched by taking a screw just slightly smaller than the hole, putting a little Teflon tape around it and then screwing it into the hole.
  8. The Irritator

The Irritator LawnSite Member

Neat trick. Learn something new every day....
  9. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use a lag bolt,
    but that's just me.:laugh:
  10. jeffinsgf

Neat idea, but I am working with Class 200 pipe. My saddle patch seems to be just fine. I'll put this idea in the ol' hard drive, though ---- thanks.