1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

little help here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Apr 29, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i got a customer that haves alot of floweres in her beds but wants the beds weeded out .i know i cant spray roundup besides weeding them out what can i do it would take me like three hours to do all her beds.so any help would be grateful aqppreciated thanx ronniie.....
  2. weed them by hand and bill her for it. once the flowers die off or go dormant for this year go and try to sell her on weed block fabric. 3 hrs is nothing. i do one that takes i think like 8 hours or something like that once it gets out of hand.
  3. Hey Ron look at a similar post here and see if this helps.

Got alot of the same problems here with bad installs. Looks good the first week or so but no barriers on install and up comes the weeds and the labor goes through the roof. Everybody loves flowers, nobody wants to weed. So, good install is a must. Ronstar pre-emurge does the trick everytime!

4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Weed the beds by hand. Bill your client for every minute that you spend on your hands and knees. When you change color for the summer, sell your client on the idea of a good preemergence herbicide, and adequate mulch to keep the weeds to a minimum. The preemergence and mulch should be cheaper for your client than the hand weeding. You may have to do some weeding next season, but nothing compared to the job you're facing now.
    Bill Craig
  5. ronslawncare

yea thats what i figured im gona be stuck weeding then out i told her 150 but it still sux though i hate those weeds i use aback of hammer that pretty fast but not fast enough..thanx guys
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i suggest knee pads and do it when the grd is real damp.
    most weeds just pull out easy from damp ground
  7. ronslawncare

i did it today me and my girlfriend it took almost two hours .but i kept my customer happy so i feel real good .i used a back of a hammer and a tine raKE FOR LARGER AREAS and my girlfriend picked up the weeds i pulled so it wasnt to bad .