little help needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Feb 24, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what do you guys get for 10,000 sq ft property just seeding.i bidded it at $ 125.00 thats the normal price ive been getting for the last two years .then i saw a landscapers proposal today $35.00 ..is this crazy or am i way to high ....

2. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

New seeding or overseeding? what type of grass?
    With fescue, overseeding at 5#/ 1,000 you will use 50# seed. Around here seed is at least $50 for 50# bag. I think he's way low!!

3. ronslawncare

50.oo for a fifty pound bag is about what im getting .i get my stuff from a sod farm its a blend rye and fescue . the blue grass makes it come up nice and thick like sod . for 35.00 he must not even putting anything down ****.

4. ronslawncare

125.00 is just for over seeding

5. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I don't know how some of those people make it! I usually double the price of the seed.So i would charge around $100. You're not too high though. I might tell the customer that he should have more money than that just in seed!

6. deason

deason LawnSite Member

FIGURE HOW MUCH SEED IT WILL TAKE. THEN MULTIPLY THAT TIMES THE COST + 50%. (OR EVER HOW MUCH IT IS RETAIL COMPARED TO WHOLESALE). THEN ADD HOURLY RATE.

7. ronslawncare

thats what im saying .my first season i used scotts seed the stuff stinks .i spend about 30 bucks on a 30 pound bag and charge 60.00. but scotts seed sucks .there starter fert is great and turf builder works awesome

8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

$125.00 for just the seed sounds like a good number to me... thats about my ball park

9. ronslawncare

thanx for the reply anyway i didnt get the job i kinded handled it unprofessional and said what happened to that guy is he still in bussiness and walk back to my car .because she was telling me my prices are off the hook.when i look at that proposal i knew he was wrong .but to see it on a proposal made me think i was too high also. like you said i should of said thats not enough to even buy the seed...

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm lost on this one. Are you guys not aerating the ground 1st? Are you not putting down a starter fertilizer also?

$125 price:
    @6lbs per 1000 you have 60lbs of seed.= $60
    Starter fertilizer = $9
    So your aerating 10k for $56?

Want to come here, I'll sub it out.

I do several jobs 10k and over. $28 per k. For the 10k property I get $280. You must remember your renovating a lawn. Your increasing the value of a home. Even now, when I give an estimate, people usually say "wow, that's it". I've actually been thinking of going up.