Little help on buying a leaf Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLC, Mar 4, 2005.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

I have a chance to purchase a Giant Vac MODEL 8500BIP it has a 8.5 hp B&S. Its brand new but a old model they had left over its missing all tubes. Heres a pic
    Whould you purchase this? What would you offer?
    The asking price is 650

2. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

First find out what it will cost for the tubes & extension/elbow piece. I would guess they would run around $300. total. It's hard tell if there is mounting brackets. The asking price isn't bad, but it is kind of a small engine for leaf pick-up. The better machines have 13-16hp engines but run around $2,000+. I would say offer them around $500-$600. and see what they say. For that price it's worht it!
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

This brings up an interesting question...interesting to me, anyway. Does anyone sell impellers without the engine and everything else?
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok it needs a

Extension tube
    An elbow for that tube
    An arm and a chain to hold the intake tube
    It needs an intake tube
    A mouthpiece with a handle for that intake tube
    A mounting plate to connect that intake tube to the impeller

I would not personally ever use something this small but I do love the brand. The parts for it will run you 500-1000 you would be surprised what they charged for truck loader parts. I worked with a guy that had a 13hp lesco vac the impeller shroud was worn out so he bought a new one $400 dollars was the price for that one part.
  6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes of course they do I had the impeller replaced on my 20hp vac this past summer part was $480 the final bill came to $970
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'd definitely pass!. Way too small of an engine. I have an 11hp, and although it gets the job done, it is too small.
  8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I mean can the end user buy an impeller?
  9. butler L&S

butler L&S LawnSite Member

I would also pass. 8.5hp is not enough. I have a 16hp Briggs Vanguard on a Lesco loader and it works awsome. I would think that the leaves would have to be completely dry and you would have to use a short hose if you're using anything smaller than 12hp.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have the 16HP B&S on our Billy Goat. I would have to agree with what everyone else seems to be hinting at...the 8 horse is small...perhaps too small for the job. Of course this is dependent on what you need/want it to do for your business.

Although I've never used anything smaller, I couldn't imagine working at half capacity (in theory anyway).