little help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BLKSS, Jun 3, 2007.

1. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

hey guys my recent client wants me to remove a small tree like bush thats about 4 feet tall and the trunk width is like 3 inches round. and 3 small shrubs. Help me out with this bid, i say about 3 hr's to remove all 4. does $200 sound about right? plus $65 disposal fee? let me know what ya think, and how you would charge?
  2. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

An axe, shovel and sweat should get'er done in less than an hour. If it was a regular customer of mine I'd do it for $50-60 and toss it in the dumpster on the way home.

In the city they would pick it up around here, if left at the curb.
  3. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

I agree about $50. leave at curb for trash company or most companies that sell mulch will take for free or minimal charge.
  4. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

so im a little high huh?
  5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say a little high.

I assume that the "tree like bush" that the customer's OK with you just cutting the stump as close as flush to the ground as possible?

As long as the 3 shrubs are small, using a shovel to dig those out, I'd charge around 65-75 bucks off the top of my head without looking at it. Remember your time/gas to haul and dump the stuff.
  6. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i think they want the roots out as well. my method of doing this was to get a chainsaw, saw it down, then chop out the roots. thats for the main big bush. an suggestions on how i should go about doing this?
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Ooh, they want the roots out? And this is a three inch diameter stump?

I don't know what kind of shrub or bush it is... But it seems like with a stump of that diameter there's some pretty decent sized roots and it's going to be a lot of work to dig them up. I guess you could try hooking up a strap and ripping it out with a truck....

If they want the roots out and you have to dig them by hand, then I'd definitely crank up the price from what I originally said.
  8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Get yourself a maul and a come-along. Cut the roots with the maul and yank it out with the come-along. One hundred and fifty bucks should cover your time and disposal fee.