Little holes in my oak trees...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Up North, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

So what's causing this...I have a few oak trees that are in the 6-8 inch diameter for size and they have little holes all over the trunks. The holes are about 1/4 inch in size, are they caused by an insect or birds pecking away to get at something? The holes are pretty evenly spaced around the tree and go into the tree maybe a 1/4 inch, maybe a tad more. They were there last year and to be honest I don't know if they were there before that. Most of the trees seem to be okay, a couple are dead at the top but most had full leaves last year and tons of buds right now. Anything I need to worry about?

Buck

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a wood ****** of some kind.

3. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Has the bark peeled away at all, or are the holes straight trough the bark??

I have several oaks that size that the bark came right off----there are borers inside...trees seem to be done.

If the bark is still on them, most likely a woodpecker looking to get at the insects inside. I'd take a close look to make sure the bark isn't lifting off...in either case its probably an insect inside...that or the woodpecker has a full stomach now.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Buck..prolly a woodpecker..nothing you can do about it..some people resort to putting tin around the trunk .Tree's have ways of surviving such attacks..so I woulden't worry about it.

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, you can do something about it. Pine tar (creosote - not, not the gunk out of your chimney). Dab or paint it on the holes and the birds will taste it, hate it, and feed elsewhere. Sometimes that elsewhere is on the same tree, mostly not. Just remember, if they're checking out the tree, there is likely something there for them to eat and that's not always good for the tree - with or without the woodpeckers.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Creosote has been taken off the market here..that's why I diden't suggest it.I dddon't know if it is still available in other states..but you can't buy it here
    anymore

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

About 3 years ago it happened to 2 of mine, very few leaves last year, now there firewood.

8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

All the bark is still on the trees, they're just perfect little holes. I suspected woodpeckers as we have quite a few around here and have seen them on a couple of the trees right in front of the shop. But obviously they're after something...and that something must be there because they wouldn't tap that many holes for the fun of it... but then again what does a woodpecker do for fun, peck holes. I do think it's the smaller of the woodpeckers doing the damage, not sure of the name off hand, but the big pilieated red headed ones around here would saw the tree in half in a nano-second!

Maybe I'll try the creosote deal. I've got 15 acres of woods here, and I'm surrounded by 160 acres of state forest...think they could leave the trees in my yard alone?!?! NO.:angry:

Buck

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Buck thats the thing. Once a wood ****** finds food in the tree, they will keep coming back to that tree year after year. I dont know why or how they know which tree it was, but they seem to know. Its almost like they teach their offspring the "spot" as well.

10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

When I needed pine tar for a clients' trees, I found it at the pharmacy - it's an ingredient in many skin preparations. Just ask the pharmacistfor it.