little oak trees everywhere

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by landscaper57, Apr 19, 2003.

1. landscaper57

landscaper57 LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I have a customer that has oak trees in a natural area and the acorns are sprouting up like crazy. Is there a pre emergent that will help control this problem.
    Spraying with roundup is time comsuming. Any ideas?

2. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

any 3 way weed control chould take care of them

3. landscaper57

from zone 7

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 way? I need something for pre emergent control if possible.

4. 2,4-D

Pre-Em sucks for controlling them. Also it's awfully early for them to be sprouting up, they may be from last season, and you are just noticing them.

5. landscaper57

from zone 7

I thought that was what rkk95 was talking about. I was looking for something to stop the acorns from sprouting.
    These are acorns that feel in the fall in a pinestraw natural area planted with some azaleas under the oak trees. To many to pick up :blob4: .

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

There are no pre-ems for tree seeds. If it is an open area, with no ground cover, quickest fix is a string trimmer. Trees need those first leaves to make food. Just after they sprout, hit them with a string trimmer. Oaks may take a couple of treatments; I get maples and others with smaller seeds in one shot.