Little old lady customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Aug 24, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Little old ladies can be so thrifty. ;)

We have a few streets that are basically lined with little old lady customers. By themselves, they would not be profitable at all. But because they are in a row, we bang them out really quick and the profit is actually better than a large scale yard.

Anyways, I went back to our garden tonight. We are polluted with tomatos. We picked 78 tomatos just tonight. So I told Matt, we got to give them to some of our customers.

So he decides to call the little old ladies. It will be easy dropping them off. All in a row.

The first lady he calls, he explains that we have a lot of tomatos, we'd like to give her some, blah blah blah and so on, and she says, "Well I don't know. How much are they?"

It's getting bad. Our customers are thinking we are resorting to high pressure tomato sales :):blob4:

So in conclusion, for any new guys just starting out, it's probably best not to target little old ladies for new customers unless you are lining up a bunch of them. They tend to hold onto their wallet.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive always had great luck with the older generation. i guess one of my accounts being my grandmother is a given, but they are always willing to pay on time. they are always asking if id like something to drink, and why dont i stop and rest. come holidays they always send a card. (sometimes with a bonus) i know there are some cranky older generation people out there, but i cant knock any of my clients.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree. These type are also moody and time consuming and also a PITAzz. They brag about saving a dollar on anything. YOu try to help them out and they dont even appreciate it. Most of them have no idea what is takes to run a biz or how hard it is to work out in this heat. Most but not all, some gems do exist but they are far and few between

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

That's funny Jodi. :laugh:

I used to do a lot of retired people too. What I found hard was when they passed away, it's like losing a friend. :(

5. 1MajorTom

MDB,

You are right though about the paying thing. They always pay on time. Never have a problem with bad checks either.

6. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Banned

someone on here said that there are two kinds of Mexicans, the real good ones and the real bad ones. This is very true with old folk. They are eighter the nicest people in the world and are so appreciative of you...or they are real aholes who do nothinh but ***** and complain and are cheap as hell and would rather die than ever tip you, or except a rate increase of even a dollar!!!
    I have one old widdow who dispises my because here grandson, he's about 30, stopped mowing here lawn and hired me, and when I got sick of hearing her talk about every little thing each week and decide to just take the money, say thanks and leave see now complains about something new that I do every week and is always wrong. I do a decent job for her.When I'm done I just crab the money, nod my head to whatever she's bithching about, say thanks, about get the hell out of dodge.

MAN I HATE MOST OLD FOLK.............AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

7. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Banned

and as a word of advise NEVER offer a senior discount!!!
    That's just asken for trouble, you'll only get the cheap pain in the a$$'s!!!

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 clients left that aqre senior citizens!!!! I couldnt take them! Yes they pay on time (usually the day they get the bill)....... but none of them want to spend a nickel! They are retired and have nothing left to do then to nick pick about rediculous things!!! Its sad but...... I will no longer take a Senior citizen client! I give them high quotes... and since there all price shoppers they find someone much cheaper!

9. dhicks

dhicks Member

I don't mind the older crowd. Yes, some of them are so tight they screw the scocks on in the morning. But their money spends just as well as my younger professional crowd. What I like about this business and working for myself is the opportunity to walk away from any job or customer. :blob3:

10. 1MajorTom

Agreed Eric. Its sad when something happens to them.

We recently received a call from a son of one of our customers who resides in Maryland. We were shocked to find out that his mom (our customer) was going to be moving to Maryland into an assisted living arrangement. He said that she had been getting confused lately although we hadn't noticed that. She always seemed sharp to us while we were there.

Now we will still be taking care of her lawn, and her son will be paying the bills.

I could go on, but heck I'd bore everyone. We all have stories and if all 4400+ members chose to tell them, wow, things could get kinda crazy around here ;)