little old lady...does she deserve sharp blades...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, May 27, 2006.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

here is the situation...about 10 years ago when starting out, I picked up a number of customers that would qualify as "little old ladies".

by now, most have died or found cheaper service....

and I thought I was free of my last...until the phone call yesterday...MISTER GEOOOO...THIS IS MR5. XXX AND MY LAWN NEEDS CUTTING....:eek:

I about freaked. this is nearly JUNE and I am sure her lawn hasn't been cut this year.

the lawn is a money maker...even if it hasn't been cut yet this year....

but my question is...should I go for it with sharp blades...or should I go beat the hell outta her bermuda/field weed lawn with 20 hour old, used dull blades........

GEO :confused: :waving:

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sharp blades you know you will want to take pride in your cutting.

3. I'd sort some old blades out of the trash for that lawn. No telling what's in there!

4. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Me too. But I'd still put an edge on them. The reason for old blades is you don't know what's hidden in that tall stuff. You can do 3 walk throughs and still hit an old bike wheel. Been there, done that.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Sharp blades will create less stress on your mower in tall grass....

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Cut it with dull blades and make sure that you charge her extra for it too!!

7. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

Ive thought the same thing before and have cut with dull blades but found that the joke was on me , because it really slowed me and the mower has a hard time to, so for me sharper is bettter.:) :) ,

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I also use the older machine because it doesn't have the power and speed of the new one which makes it easier going when it finds an obstacle (less of a dent and if something breaks it is less aggravating), but they still get the same level of service, if they pay the price then they get the results.

Far as the sharpness of the blades, that is mostly random, probably some class-A turf gets the first cut of the day more than a Class-D turf but other than that, it's first come first serve, the last yard of the day is just as likely to be class-A than not, some priority is given but I'm no cutthroat about it, either.

As far as whether she deserves sharp blades I could not tell you, but she does not deserve dull. Use your oldest set and put an edge on them, here's a pic of some OLD stuff I use beside an almost new one (lol get ready):
    [​IMG]

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would cut it with dull blades also. Hard telling what your going to run into...JMO

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I strive to do my best on each lawn or job I'm on. I try to instill that spirit in the employees I have (the success of this or lack there of is another story LOL).

I feel the best customer service is to provide the same top notch service for the higher paying customer as the lower paying in regards to mowing, after all its my companies name being attached to that lawn.

JMO