1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Little Smelly Bastaards!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tennissippi, Dec 24, 2003.

1. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

I have a few lawns with Wild Onion in them that I have had the hardest time controling. I have made two applications with Trimec 992 at 2 qts./Acre and still haven't gotten real good control of those little smelly Bastaards. I'm not sure if the colder temp. are effecting the uptake or not but it's really getting to be a pain in the ass to keep coming back and respraying.

FLAWSP LawnSite Member

It can take up to 21 days to begin seeing results during cold weather. The bulb of the onion can be very deep in the soil, so several apps are usually necessary. I have sprayed some lawns in the Mid-South for up to 4 winter seasons before getting good control. "Control" is the key word, your customers will have to expect a small amount of tolerance. 2 qt/acre of 992 is probably on the high end of the label anyway. Good luck- I've also noticed that mowing the lawn actually helps-guess it puts the onions in shock.
  3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure about trimec 992 as I don't use any trimec products. Check to see if it is an ester or an amine formula. Ester formulas work better on wild onions. If it is not an ester than you may want to try cool power by riversdale if you can get it. I have had good results. Sometimes it may take two treatments for complete control.
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi tennissippi,

Here is a post that may be helpful.