Little story

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jun 17, 2006.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

SprinklerGuy and I were at lunch the other day at Chili's. Landscapers were outside working. One guy runs in, runs to the kitchen and runs out with a fire extinguisher. afew employees ran out as well, and most customers were gawking out. Turns out someone must have flicked a cigarette butt out into the mulch and it caught fire. Fire truck rolled up and hosed it all down. After lunch we walked to the area to check it out and saw it still smoldering a little. Pulled back the mulch and saw some red embers. I stomped on it a little to put it out, and then we went over to the landscaper to see if they had the extinguisher still to put it out. One of his employees ran over to take care of it. Tony and I then talked to the landscaper and now we have a new contact and he says he'll try to send us some work!!

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Is there a lot of money in fire supression sprinklers for mulch??? :)

3. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

I know a few Bob Evans that burnt down for the same reason, I know three customers that have had fires this year.............2 were cigarette butts, 1 was 120v light that commercial client didnt bother to fix.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

LOL too funny Purp!
    See ya never know where or when your gonna pick up a job. As long as you talk and BS with as many people as possible, you will always have work.

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I had a dollar for every time some knucklehead wasted a $25 extinguisher (that didn't work) to try to put out a mulch or bark fire that a pitcher of water would have handled. Lesson to the general public- dry chemical extinguishers don't work on bark fires- water does and it's MUCH cheaper! Lesson #2, if you have an irrigation system it won't burn at all because it will be kept moist.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The fire department also hosed down the whole thing, and then left. The mulched areas usually have drip going to only the shrubs, so the entire area is not watered and wasted.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Ergo... Commercial developments should have a mulch supression sprinkler system installed! :laugh:

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

How about some occasional rainfall and this wouldn't happen. We've had more acreage burned this year in the state than all of last year. And it's mid-June.