little strip of grass left after mowing tall grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Jun 24, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i never had this problem before.. but after my belt that turns the blades slipped, when i cut tall grass if leaves a small strip of grass towards the inside blade (meaning the blade that's on the opposite side that the grass shoots out) .. anyone have this issue before or have a suggestion what it could be. i have a 48 inch bobcat. belt is tight enough from what i can tell. i also tryed another set of blades..

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

could just be the fact that its tall grass. sometimes double cutting is necessary.

3. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i know it's not do to the tall grass...

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Several possibilities. Worn out blade tips? Mowing too fast? Clogged deck not producing vacuum? Not using full rpm while cutting? Engine not set for maximum rpm? Maybe it's a combination of the above?

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I've had this problem before, and actually ran into it again not too long ago. Not sure what its attributed to either, I'd really like to know.

Tharrell : How do you know if your engine is set for maximum RPM's?

6. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

My Surfer has the same problem and I always think it is because the grass is too tall because after double cutting the strip is gone but mine just has been leaving a weird cut too. It's like the discharge blade is cutting a fraction (1/10) of an inch higher than the other two blades. I've taken it to the dealer and we've banged on the deck and checked it with a straight edge and thought it was fixed but it is still there. Oh well didn't mean to get off of your topic. Are you using the same blades as before the problem started. I used a set once that left the strip due to being slightly too short even though they were the same length according to the manufacturer as all of my other blades.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

These engines have goveners so you hook up a tach and adjust as needed. I'd let a shop do it though. Most will do it for you n/c if you're a good customer and you suspect a problem. The biggest cause besides mowing too fast and dull blades is "short" blades. They may look right but when they're sharpened, sometimes they get rounded at the tips which actually makes them short.

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Try replacing the belt. Mine has done the same thing. I have a 54" Bunton wb (same as Bobcat). On top of that, it was leaving stringers all over. It was driving me crazy. New belt did the trick.

9. FARMERlawn03

FARMERlawn03 LawnSite Member

I have a gravley that was doing the same thing. I purchased a new belt but it was'nt good enough then I tinghtened up the spindles and that solved the prob. Good Luck!

10. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

It could be that the grass has seed stalks this time of year. Makes the grass cut funny.

Try some solid foil high lifts.