Little To No Results!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Oct 17, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

The start of the season I started providing fertilizer and PreM services to my customers. Most of my lawns are Bermuda so I kept all of the on the same program. I use all lesco product, lesco spreader, and followed all the label instructions but I had little to no result. Now all of my lawns were weed free, but I could not get these lawn to green up to my or my clients satisfaction. My maint. service is always top quality but because I didn't produce on the fert program many of customers felt they were wasting their money with me an end up dropping me all together.
    Now I have become afraid to make promises of a green lawn when I have to depend on chemistry for uncertain results.

Can anyone tell me there application rate, frequency, and anything else I need to know to get me on the right track. Im looking forward to next growing season so I can take another crack at it.

Thanks for all your help:)

By the way, I do have my Pesticide Applicators License.

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

post your application rate, type of fert, how many apps, etcc....

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

soil test????

4. clallen03

I'll have to read the label for the application rate, because I cant tell you right off hand.Can you tell me what the appication rate should be?

No soil test, but that will be put into play starting next year.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

5. Without knowing how much of what you applied and how often you applied it, it is difficult to give advice.

Lets take it step by step.

One thing I can tell you is if you used a fert/broad leaf weed control combo, then I understand why you didn't get good weed control. While some people here have had luck with them, it is my experience that they don't work as good as liquids.

So my first question is: What did you use for your broad leaf weed control and when did you apply it.

6. clallen03

All of my fert, PreM, PostM are all Lesco products. I applied my PostM at the start of the season to kill the broadleaf weed and after that the PreM work pretty well. If not I just spot sprayed. Weed control wasn't my problem, it was green up the lawns. I used the Lesco 6-8 week program 0-0-7 from Jan to Mar, 25-2-5 PreM from Apr to May, 32-5-7 Fert from Jun to Sept. I dont know if i need to apply more or what.

What do you'll think?

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly how many times did you apply each of the products you listed above? Sounds as if you only did 3 applications.

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you're sold on Lesco, so make your local reps explain what your lawns need during a growing season. They should be able to break it down as to what products - how much - and when to apply.

Check them out against your state's extension center recommendations. Just to keep them honest and not trying to oversell you.

Hindsight is 20/20 but you should have done all this before you ventured into the fert operation.....

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Did you say you applied three applications of 0-0-7? If not, what exactly did you use? How often per year? How many times did you calibrate your spreader to give the correct amount?
    Maybe it is time to switch to another dealer--if you didn't get good advice and recommendations. A good dealer will hep you calibrate your equipment and advise you on the proper time to apply the product and for what weeds or problems. Of course you should already know this. I would say -----apply 19-0-6 with Dimension first. Then liquid broadleaf weed control. Follow up with about 34-3-7 at 5 week intervals. Add second weed spray in fall. If you are irrigated or if it rains a lot--green will be good and mowing will become a chore--twice per week.
    Talk to several salesmen this winter. You will get an education. It is called a "Vendor Ph.D." Better than any university. Play your cards right and you may get a free lunch, too.

10. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Dont sweat it man...we had a extremely dry year, especially compared to last year when we got rain every day. I used 36-3-10 most of the year, and had pretty good results.....but the trick was, I treated all my customer before and during the few days of rain that we did get.....even some of my customer with irrigation had a few problems from all the drought stress....Bermuda stays brown to protect it self from the heat when its not getting enough water.....Amazing the difference in a lawn thats fertilized right before a good rain.....really made the difference for me this year, but it was a big headache having to drop my entire schedule to make sure everybody to taken care of.....But just let them know that its mostly drought stress....I did a lot of seeding and fertilizing yesterday and today....needed to take advantage of all the rain we got.....Even Fertilized a few of my high end properties again just to keep them Green and strong through Mid to late Nov.....(Not sure if you already use this trick to keep a little income circulating during the off season.....but I seed a lot of my Bermuda Lawns with Annual Rye Grass....keeps them growing as long as I Fertilized when I treat the lawns in the winter....also helped me acquire new business because people are amazed at how green the lawn is and everyone else has a tan lawn.....)...Anyone else do this???