Little Wonder fan removal help. Honda motor?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HenryB, Jun 28, 2008.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm swapping out a Briggs 8hp for a Honda 9hp and I'm not sure how to remove the fan. Any help really appreciated:waving:

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

If it won't slide off easily, put the bolt back in, put pressure on the back side of the fan, and knock the bejeesus out of the bolt with a sledge hammer. That should get it to pop.

If it doesn't, cut the shaft with a hacksaw (sawzall is faster) and then punch what is left of the shaft out of the fan.

3. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Weld a nut to the face of the fan collar. This nut will allow you to thread a bolt against the end of the crankshaft acting like a puller.

Scott

4. HenryB

Is the fan itself threaded in order to remove the fan with a bolt you tighten against the crankshaft?

5. Leaf Jockey

I've done this before and I don't think the Little Wonder fans are threaded. Thats why I suggested welding a nut to the end of the fan.

Scott

6. HenryB

Are the fans aluminum or steel?

7. Leaf Jockey

The older four blade fans are steel. The HO fans are steel. If there is a newer generation blower out I'm not familiar with it.

Scott

8. lancer17

lancer17 LawnSite Member

We have a 5hp and two 8hp briggs little wonders. Of the three, one of the 8hp came with a nut already welded on to the fan to use as a puller. Works great. We did have another 8hp without the nut and tried to beat it off using the bolt in the crankshaft while supporting the fan. Ended up cracking the block! Just a word of caution.