Little Wonder gas hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I need help on choosing a good Hedge trimmer. I was thinking about the Little wonder 24" double side hand held along with their long reach model too. I'm also concidering Stihl, Echo, and Redmax. I'm not a very big person and my back isn't as strong as it use to be so weight is a concern.

Any thoughts would be apreciated.

2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I'm lookin' for a hedge trimmer too.

I've had several...mostly Shindaiwa and echo.

First, I love the articulating "pole" hedge trimmers. Had the Shindaiwa and Echo models. The Shindaiwa got stolen, so bought an echo cuz it was lighter. Articulating pole trimmers so much easier on my back, and I love trimming bushes backed up a bit. Takes a little getting used to...but once you got it, hard to go back.

The echo is a little cheaper and a little lighter. But, it isn't as well made as my Shindaiwa was. I'm having problems with it now, so I'm lookin' for a new one. Had the extended shaft echo as well...didn't last either. My first commercial hedge trimmer was a shindaiwa 24". I musta bought 15 yrs ago. I still have it...but it's sorta beat to hell. Might be able to fix it...but, want something new methinks.

The stihl's look the best quality, but damn...are they heavy. I'm almost tempted to buy the Echo again, knowing it wont last as long... just because it's lighter. I'd love to buy the stihl....but, that pole trimmer weighs a ton. They use better components, and the blades look indestructible...but that makes them really heavy. Mebbe get the Shindaiwa ah230 again...that seems to be a good medium between echo and stihl.

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

and they look suspiciously [exactly] like the "Robin" brand commercial hedge trimmer.

That I own....

I have the long one....

Is definitely a pro item....that will last a long time...

Love it...

Has way enough power.

Starts easy and is very dependable....

The first choice over my Stihl....

BE careful...I don't like the grips....

I have to pay attention to what I am doing while using it, as one slip could sever my finger just as easily as it does thick branches...

I once used the thing to cut grass down low...along a canal....

very durable.

Again, I don't like bare minimum safety features of this device.

They look primitive, but deliver the goods...

Just be careful when using it...

I think mine is over 40"....

When you pull it out to start it...the helper usually gawks...:eek:

It looks intimidating to use, but is on my trailer....

Not excessively heavy...

Robin makes these for Little Wonder, The Mantis tiller people....

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member