Little Wonder Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscape89, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I am interested in a new hedge trimmer for next year. I can't decide which to get- Gas or Electric. If I got the gas I would probably go for the 24" Blade whereas the electric I would go w/ the 30" Blade. My instinct is leaning toward electric but I would like to know if anyone here owns a L.W. what their take on it is? Also, I have a 1,000 Watt Generator and I noticed the electric Trimmers run at 110 volts.. Would I be able to run the hedge trimmer on my current generator or need something larger?

Thanks,
    SH

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If you are serious about hedges... a stihl long reach is the best option IMO. Electric is not an option.

3. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I am more interested in Little Wonder

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I have their mid-long trimmer. It is powered by Komatsu/zenoah (redmax power drive), comes as a line trimmer length unit, w/a removable 24"-30" mid section. The head is articulating as well. Nice unit, well built and does a nice job. I believe the cutting head to be 24"

5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't buy an electric one.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I've used both an electric model and the 2230 gas model. Gas is the only way to go. They no longer sell the model of electric I had used. It was a single side and had a handle with safety switch on the bar as well as the rear. The electric didn't last long. How much will you be using this tool? Is it just for your own house or professional jobs every day?

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Gas is the way to go for sure... but they are heavier and noisy as hell.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The LW electric hedge trimmers will last for years. The only thing on the motor that ever wears is the brushes and the blades are the same as a gas trimmer. They are a great choice for working in areas where noise is a problem.

I don't think the Honda 1000 watt generator will be enough to run hedge trimmer.

AC Output: 120V
    1000W max.(8.3A)
    900W rated (7.5A)

The hedge trimmer pulls 464 watts which means it needs approximately 3 times that much for starting. I would recommend the 2000 watt or 2 1000 watt units with a parallel cable.

Oldtimer

9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

If you are more interested in the LW electric, then why ask the question?

Yes, the LW electric is a good trimmer! Do you have dealer support? Will it do everything you need/or will need? I dont know.

I would say go with a gas trimmer like everyone else has said. I prefer the Husky. Look at what your dealer has and what kind of support they have from the Co. Some dealers can get parts that day or next day from some manufactures depending on how much they buy.

If you want your customer to support you then support your dealer! Find out how many dealers in your area support that brand, if the one you buy from goes down can you still get parts?

10. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Go with gas. More power for cutting thick privet and such. They run forever. But, they are heavy. I've been using LW for years. You'll need more than just a 30" unit. I've got a 30" and a 42" and it's still not enough. One of those weed whackers with an articulated trimmer head would be real nice at times.