1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Little Wonder Leaf Vac??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paponte, Oct 21, 2003.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone demo'd one of these things yet? I am in the market to purchase another loader this season, and was looking to get some input on them. Any help would be great.

I am torn between getting a new machine with less HP, or I have an opportunity to purchase a used Tarrant loader. The tarrant is huge, but any parts I would need would have to be ordered.

Again thanks for any input. :cool:
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I just got mine today from the dealer. This thing is HUGE!!!! It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. And it weighs like 400 lbs! I was going to put it on my trailer tongue but it's way too big for that. I think I'll have to put it on the trailer deck. I dunno. Once I get it unloaded tomorrow I'll take pics and bring them in. My dealer said he saw it demoed and the thing is a monster, just sucks and shreds like crazy. It is rather impressive.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

How are you going to mount it? One thing that I didn't like is that it doesn't come with either a tailgate or receiver mount. You have to purchase it separately. Oh yeah, and they also don't offer electric start. I can pick one up for $2795.00 but the the swing mount would be additional. Giant vac has electric start standard, and comes with the swing mount all for $2995, and I am sure I can get my supplier down a little. Let me know what you think of the little wonder after you get a chance to use it. Thanks MTD. :cool:
  4. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I just mounted my new Billy Goat Loader over the tongue of my 5x12 tandem axle trailer. It took a cutting torch and a mig welder but it awsome. I am going to have to secure it with bolts and a huge pad lock because that trailer doesn't fit in the garage with the new Big Tex 7x16ft.

I will attempt to take a picture tonight and put it out for your viewing. I don't have the loader on it now but you can see the frame and cutting i did to make it fit..
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I know of some guys who cut the sides out of their trailers to install "side-ramps" themselves and had their trailer framing break because they took away the structural stability.

I hope that you were given better advice then these people when you inquired about your project.
  6. Blades of Steel

its funny you mention the side gate. Because this trailer id did the exact samething to. Then took the side gate out of it when i turned into a leaf loader trailer.

I didn't cut the bottom frame at all. Just the 14 inch top rail and moved it back 7". Stability will not be a problem. I had a couple of structural engineers here at work look at it prior to chopping on it.

But I do see where that would be a concern in some of the less expensive single axle trailers I have seen. This trailer has a 6" x 1/4" angle tongue. Built like a tank..

Thanks, now you got me going back to the house to look it over again. :confused:
  7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

yup i tried one out.its rather large but very well built.im going to buy one next fall
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Some trailers (like mine) have the rail that is not part of the frame. I added a side gate with no trouble. As far as mounting the leaf loader, I had it mounted on the deck of the trailer. I just arrived from a welder/fabricator and he is going to build a reveiver to the fit the front of my truck. Then he is going to build a rack with a hitch that will carrry my loader. This way, if I need or want, I can take the loader out and put in my rear receiver or the receiver of another truck. I thought this was a good idea and will have pics next week. Oh, if you are curious, he is charging me $300, which I thought was fair.

9. Blades of Steel

I did mine myself. I raised the sides of my 5x12 to 7ft with 2x2x1/18 angle iron then used light weight expanded metal for the sides. I left the top uncovered but framed in so that I can use it as myu mulch and brush hauler in the summer. I will try and post some pictures in the next week. I need to get the signes done and painted.

I spent 260$ total for all the steel. I did the welding myself and a friend. The Billy Goat debris loader was $2675.00 out the door.
  10. GLawncare

GLawncare LawnSite Member

I mount my little wonder on the trailer and put a pipe going to the truck. I only payed $2450.00 for my truck loader.