Little Wonder Leaf Vac's. Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by QLC- Rick, Feb 1, 2008.

1. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

I've been doing a lot of leaf clean-up's this winter, and I think things are actually going to pick up here for the next month. I've been doing things the old fashioned way, ie. blower, rake, tarp etc. and am looking for some equipment to make life easier and be more productive as I've found leaf clean-up's to be a nice money maker....when you're efficient.

I was at a dealer today and looking at these leaf vac's, the guy there said the little wonder is better than the billy goat version, however it's around 2 grand (there anyway) for this thing. So my question is, does anyone here have any experience with these things? I've always been skeptical, but this model looks promising. Anything can suck bone dry leaves I need something for when the leaves are slightly damp, like they always are, will this do it for me????

here's a link to the model I'm talking about...

http://littlewonder.com/lw-vac.asp

2. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I started out with one of these. They do work good. Also work well cleaning up sand from gutters. Worth the investment. Also will shread clippings which takes up less room in truck.

3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Billy Goat and it works great. I even put 6" PVC from the discharge and use it as a small loader. This is the beginning of my third year. I bought the Billy Goat my first year. Hind sight being 20/20 though, if I were to do it over, I'd buy a loader instead of the yard vac. In my opinion will save you lots more time than a vac. just my 2cents

4. QLC- Rick

Thanks guys!

I've been doing leaf clean-ups for several years, for some reason just this year I got it together and have been making some money at it. So I'm really looking at getting some equipment to make it more proficient. I think next fall I'll look at a loader and maybe a dump bed or dump trailer, for now I'm thinking about a "vac" to help with the spring cleans and last few big jobs before mowing starts.

So that being said, check this out....

I mentioned the dealer in town I went to, and noticed the vac's on the floor he wanted $2000 for, well yesterday after reading your responses I went on the dealer locater and found a dealer about 25m away I'd never heard of, called him and he said he could get me the same unit for, get this....$980!....I couldn't believe it (over a thousand! dollars cheaper). I asked him what else he carries, turns out he's a freakin' Toro dealer and carries Echo, Stihl etc.

Looks like I found a new equipment dealer! I told the guy "you just got a new customer buddy" . I'm going Monday to meet with the guy, and possibly order this LW leaf vac. So anymore opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

p.s. I can't wait to see his prices on trimmers, mowers etc. If they're in line with this leaf vac deal, I won't buy so much as a spark plug from these local shops anymore.

5. QLC- Rick

oh yeah, and one difference I noticed with the BG's vs. the LW's is, the BG's have the ability to add a hose on to both the inlet and outlet, whereas the LW's don't, that I've seen. I don't know if this is a big deal or not. I'm thinking an inlet hose would be good for reaching in behind the azalea's and into the bed's and such. Keystone (or anyone) did you try this, and if so, find it helpfull?

6. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The hose is useful for those hard to get places....basement window wells, in tight corners behind shrubs, etc....small sticks are a pain with the hose because they plug it, but the plugs are easily cleared...in my opinion, the vac has a place for clean-ups