Little wonder or Billy Goat quotes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Nov 21, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I just got two quotes.

$849 8 hp Little wonder
    $900 9 hp Subaru w/ aim and shoot

This will be my first walk behind. I know they are about the same. Small leaf clean ups only....1/4 acre lots mainly.

Thanks.

2. pbdlandscaping

pbdlandscaping LawnSite Member

Little Wonders are proven, most come with a briggs motor which i'm not fond of, the robin subaru engines are great motors, the aim and shoot feature of the force is nice, both are great blowers.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That Subaru is likely about equivalent to the 10hp Briggs, thing is you need at least 8hp so the Wonder is a tad marginal.
    These units cost right about $100 per horse, comparatively speaking the Wonder should be $800 hence the Goat is a better value.

4. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We just decided to go with the 9hp force. I'm wary of the plastic housing but I'm used to being able to aim the discharge and don't want to go backwards.

5. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

i'D DEFFINETLY!!! GO WITH THE BILLY GOAT, AND I HAVE A LITTLE WONDER 13HPHONDA. THE aim+shoot THIGNY SHOULD BE GREAT IN TIGHT AREA'S. + THE PRICE IS UNBEATABLE FOR A 9HPFORCE!!!!
    BELIVE ME, ON THOSE WET DAYS, HAVIING THAT EXTRA HP IS A BIG +, U CAN ALWAYS THROTTLE DOWN. NO MORE BACKPACK BLOWER WITH WALKBEHIND TO GET THE LEAVES OUT OF THE GRASS BECAUSE OF THE AIM AND SHOOT. IF U GET IT TELL ME HOT U LIKE THAT AIM AND SHOOT

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i sell both and the 9hp Force is about equall to the 11 hp little wonder.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Is it any lighter than the old steel midsize frame units?
    That's what I have, a 2002 model 'quiet blow' (except I don't think it's quiet LOL), been wondering about these new-fangled plastic housings myself, I don't think you'll have breakage issues (unless you smack it really hard into something) but if it is lighter that would be nice.

The chutes do stop working right with the years, I've noticed mine doesn't angle much anymore, but by now it hardly matters because practice takes over. Also you'll likely have less problems with the Subaru, seems my 10hp b&s Intek is always acting up some kind of way, only time it ever worked no questions asked was the first season... Last briggs powered unit I ever get, to the point if a new blower wasn't almost as cheap as fitting another engine I'd love to see mine Kohler powered :)

8. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 9hp BG blower. Paid $1000 (tax not included). $900 is a great deal. That being said, I wish I had tried each of them out first. Might have gone with the LW.

I had an 8hp Little Wonder (1999). Personally I think that that had more raw blowing power than this Billy Goat blower with the 9hp. But it is lighter, better engine, and has aim & shoot.

9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tested both and little wonder 8 out does the billy goat. The 8 lw is also the same as the 10 lw no difference. billy goat is lighter and the engine is better but not worth the 250 more.
    I will use whatever is best, I went to the dealer fully prepared to buy either one, they were actually pushing the goat must be more mark up. So I went outside and said wich ever blowes the gravel the furthest I go home with hands down little wonder.................

10. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to try to get it tomorrow....I was hoping to get a message back from 3 neighbors yesterday to justify purchasing this.

The BG was listed at $999...but right away the guy said he could work on the price some. I said if I bring cash is it like 10% off and he said yeah.

The LW...that dealer just gave me a price and I didn't even ask about a discount. He may drop some too if I tell him his competition is giving me a break cause I don't need financing and junk.

Also, the company w/ the BG...when I asked if he had one in stock...he said yes, we have 3 sitting here. So he may just be trying to move them before the leaves stop falling.