1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Little wonder push blower ...worth it or not!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Aug 21, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Debating on getting a little wonder push blower or even a "force" billygoat but wondering what you guys that have them think,worth the $ or are back pack blowers sufficient for fall clean ups?
    I currently have a shidawia 8510 which kicks butt but i thought a strong push blower may be better for getting leaves to the curb for the leaf vac. Anyway for those that have one whats your opinions? Would a 9hp be enough or do you need the 13hp?
  2. bigw

3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have a older 13hp thats seen a lot of leaves. I wouldnt be without either one though.........:usflag:
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I do a lot of clean-ups. In my opinion, one WB blower is equal to 3 BP blowers on a cleanup. But we get serious leaves in my area, so I have no option. I'm considering a 2nd WB, and I only have me and 1 helper.
  5. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey big, you really can't do a good fall cleanup, here in the northeast, without a decent roller blower. i personally would not use anything below a 11 hp.

from what i've read, you're setting yourself up to do, besides your regular customers, heavy 1 shot cleanups... can't be done with just a backpack, no matter what you may have. also be careful how much work you take on, the fall is a killer... time wise. remember, shorter days and much more labor.

what i use are (2) little wonder 11 hp rollers, (2) redmax eb7001's, a toro gounds master w/jrco leaf plow and my ransome zt219 w/collection system.
    i'm going to say it again... look into a leaf plow, you'll thank me later. NEVER would i do another cleanup without one.

good luck, post some pics of your fall equipment when you get a chance. have a good one.
  6. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

As bruno said,,, LEAF PLOW!!!!! This will save your A@@. I still smile as my walker pushes a thousand pounds of wet leaves from the back yard to the curb all the time thinking how long it would have taken with backpacks.

As too your original question, A ground blower will save you a ton of time. I use mine almost everyday in leaf season. I really use it at the gates. I have a lot of small yards that have gates. Walker wont fit. Tarps tare on the hinges of the gates. Green barrels weigh a ton when filled with leaves. So here is what I do. I position the ground blower near the gate blowing out to the front yard. With backpack on my back, I feed the leaves to the ground blower and it dose the rest. SAVES A TON OF TIME, and so much easier than barrels or tarps. I always use little wonder because of the STEEL impeller. I have broken too many plastic ones. And you don't want to see parts coming out at 200 mph. May just ruin your day. Hope this helps. KEEP THINKING LEAVES!!!
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We have used a Little Wonder 10hp for 3 years now and it does a great job. We ordered a Billy Goat Force blower (and its in :clapping: just have to pick it up) We got the 9hp Subaru. We also have 2 leaf plows.....its called a rider and a walk behind mower, just drop the deck as far as we can and they move serious piles of leaves! More than any blower. If you doing smaller areas I would think your back pack would do the trick. We only use our w/b blower in a few places and the only reason we ordered this Billy Goat was a new set of condos we picked up (they are literaly shin deep in leaves in the fall)

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have a giant vac WB and i dont know how i would do fall clean ups without it
  9. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey crystal, it's all about WORK SMART... NOT HARD! can't get over just how few leaf plows i see out there. have to say it's probably the best return on investment for any/all attachments, i've purchased, for my ztr's!! it's obvious you know what you're talking about with your "trick" to sneak the leaves out from behind a fence with a narrow gate.

how are you guys makin out in bergen county? busy, slow, same? hope all is well. have a good
  10. bigw

It sounds like a great investment but here is my dilemma...i am solo and i am going to be using my new dump trailer with a leaf box and new 18hp billygoat leaf vac at these leaf clean ups so how do i get my 60" ztr to the job or better yet how do i get it back since now the trailer will be full of leaves? See thats where the problem comes in for me, i have an enclosed trailer for my mowers and such but only me to operate everything...any ideas?