Little Wonder Truck Loaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by socty, Nov 7, 2003.

1. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys use Little Wonder Truck Loaders? Also, how much venting will my leaf box need, and why is it necessary?

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I can not help you with Little Wonder, but I haved a 16hp Billy Goat that works very well. As for venting I have about 1" around the discharge pipe and the roof of the box is a painters tarp. The machine is a vacum as is constantly sucking up and blowing large volumes of air. The air has to have someplace to go, thats what the vents are for. Also I can look in around the discharge chute to see how much material is loaded.

4. socty

socty LawnSite Member

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. What do you think is better, tarp or wire mesh, like hardware fabric? Thanks for the input!

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a painters tarp because it is very strong, but it is breatheable to let the air out the top.

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

mesh tarp is the way to go.i built new leaf boxes this year and i found by using a mesh tarp to cover the tops completely.i get about 45% more leaves in the box.last year i use to do 4 good size lawns and that was it.im doing 5 1/2 to 6 lawns before i dump out the giant brick of leaves.the more air you get going out of the box the better.the loaders really pack things in hard now

im000168 (2).jpg

7. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Mike, thanks, that's great advice and info. The fact that more stuff gets packed tighter is really important. I'm surprised no one ever mentioned that before.

8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

socty

my cousins ex brother inlaw did landscaping years ago.my uncle built him a box with 8 small vents 3x3 inches.well everytime he ran the loader which is the one in the pick above (its been changed from what it was before) it would blow leaves out of the box.so when he was done sucking up a pile there was leaves all over the lawn he cleaned.the leaves would block up those little vents then she would blow them out from under the box.now when he did my uncles place it took one truck load.i did my uncles place friday and i wasn't anywhere near half full.we both had the same size boxes to.now i know from year to year the amount of leaves may change but i sucked up a pile 6 ft wide 60 ft long and 4 ft high and still had room to do 5 other piles that were almost half the size of that one.now i also use cyclone rakes on most of the props.i get about 19 to 23 of those in that box above and thats alot of leaves.i also found if you have a few bags of grass clippings to load those in last.it really mats things down alot

9. socty

socty LawnSite Member

Mike,

Do you remember where you got that particular tarp from? I'm thinking about ordering one from Northern Tools, but I want to be sure it works well.