Little Wonder vs Billy Goat Push Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 19, 2002.

Which walk behind push blower do you prefer?

1. Billy Goat

2 vote(s)
  2. Little Wonder

8 vote(s)
  1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

After filling out the poll, tell which model you prefer and why? Here some points I have come across for both models through research:

Billy Goat: lighter weight, hand lever controlled exhaust, flexible fan (less noise), less air power.
    Little Wonder: heavier weight, steel fan (greater noise), more air power.

Thank You for the responses.
  2. joed

I need some response on this matter. Please answer if you can.
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Those of us that have the Billygoat with lever controlled shoot, know which works better. Those that don't, can't. Besides being lighther........Besides being able direct the air "up" into shrubs and clean them........Besides being able the direct the air "up and down" and move a big pile of leaves, by blowing off the top of the pile on down, without punching a hole through the pile...... Besides, being able to not blow the leaves at all, by directing the air up high, as you change directions to blow in another direction......... Besides, being able to direct the air down right at the ground and act like you have a walkbehind blower "and" a backpack" helper with you, all in one.......... Besides coming with a neat little 90 degree deflector, that lets you blow straight ahead...........You can "safely" increase the rpm of the B&S 10 hp engine to 3,800, which is the same rpm the bigger Honda motor turns the impeller.......
  4. joed

Thanks for your reply. I kind of like the Billy Goat better too. Would the 5 hp Honda model or 6.5 hp Briggs and Stratton model be o.k. for my needs. Most of my lots are about 4 000 square feet.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know about pricing, but more horsepower is addictive:p . It's really nice to know that you will always have enough power to move a really big pile, instead of hoping the leaves are smaller and not wet. I would go for biggest motor you can afford. The adjustable shoot and throttle will let put the air just where you wnat it and you would have to be worrying about blowing the leaves too far. Also, the bigger machine will let finish the job faster, so you will be making more money per hour.

6. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Quality wise. We sell both models and have no problems with either
    I feel from my experience that the Billy Goat might be a little heavier built.
    I will tell you that you cannot go wrong with either machine.
    Now I bet you are really confused........
  7. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Just seems better built to me and more powerful. Loads better in tight areas. IMO:)
  8. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Little Wonder, hands down. We had a Billy Goat prior to the Little Wonder ... we've never looked back once. The sheer power of the LW ... Fan noise? Well, yeah, it's loud .. but you should be wearing ear protection anyway.

The only thing I would change on it (and would change on every other brand) is the addition of a locking brake system; one that allows quick, easy access to the brakes -- most likely on-handle and large enough to use while wearing work gloves without a hassle. There have been countless times when I have used the LW as a 'third man' and had him assisting me in the final cleanup. Well, LW occasionally developed a mind of his own and I would have to constantly run back and 'save' him from .. well .. himself, actually.

I know, I know. "The walkbehind blowers should ALWAYS be manned blahblabhlabhalbh" .. yeah .. but .. in reality, they aren't. I've seen many other landscapers using the same method. It really is effective and effecient.

Little Wonder .. hands down.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i bought a little wonder 9 hp with the honda motor, and absolutely love it. i used to think giant vac was the creme of the crop, but the little wonder blows circles around them. the billy goats are a good machine too, but i think the little wonder edges it out.