1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Live demo's

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by The Lighting Geek, Nov 16, 2007.

1. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, do any of you use live demo's?

I modified the back of my f-150 with a cab high shell, no side window, rolling bed platform, 5-840 tf, approx. 80 fixtures. One big demo kit on wheels :)
    I average about 1-3 demo's a week and close 100 percent of them. It raised my average lighting job to 60-75 fixtures very quickly. It also taught me alot about what works and what doesn't.

I would love to hear what your doing and how it works for ya...
  2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Tommy

I did a lighting demo once, about 9 years ago. After that I swore I would never ever do another one again. I think you will find that there are people who are firm believers in this technique and there are people like myself who really don't like it at all.

I find it cumbersome, time consuming, and not very effective at increasing my sales. I also think it isn't the best use of my client's precious time or attention. Since over 90% of my business comes from referrals, I don't really need to spend that type of time required to do a demo. The prospects have already seen the effect of my work. If they haven't, I would much rather take them to a property for a walk through. Walk throughs are very efficient and very effective at showcasing your work.

I'm sure that there are a wide variety of opinions on this and an equally wide variety of techniques that work in different markets for different contractors. You simply have to try and find the best mix for you and your clients.
  3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Demo's help me to learn, and they give me confidence, too.

80 fixtures? I was cursing at buying 6 and a transformer. LOL.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

we built a demo kit... i think I got about 14 bullets... couple of assorted paths a wall wash and the light on a stick.

If 1-3 demos works for you thats great. If I were doing that many I would have a real slick set up like you.

I usually only demo if the client is SERIOUS or is willing to pay a small fee if they decide not to use me. Another good time to demo is when the client has a less than desireable name brand system by a uninformed installer and it lacks design and performance.

I need to go do one next week where the back yard is semi lit but basically a black hole. Incredible home and yard but is really under lit.
  6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I don't particularly like doing demos. Even though I have been landscaping here in my neck of the woods for many years, my stand alone lighting business is still fairly new. I have taken a little different approach than some guys. I am doing demos for developments, and commercial complexes. Oh, I still do homes too, but I find that almost all the developers and builders in my area are still relying soley on HID lighting for their properties. This is a picture of a demo I did 3 nights ago for a development. I know they are not the right kind of light for this application and there are no filters on the lights, but it was effective in conveying to him what I was wanting to accomplish. I use around 25-40 lights in an average demo.

Sag falls0001_1.JPG
  7. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

Some the things I forgot to mention:
    1. I heavily pre-qualify anyone before a demo is even discussed.
    2. I have sold multiple jobs as a result of one demo.
    3. Average demo is 20 lights
    4. I leave them set up for about a week
    5. I reward the client for every contract signed as a result of their demo.
    6. A typical demo takes me about 20 min to set up. (I have done hundreds)

Demo's are not for everyone, but you are someone who has alot of passion for what you do, this might be for you. I currently demo 1 in 3-4 jobs, but when I started I did almost every job.
  8. jhuanger629

jhuanger629 LawnSite Member

We always try and do live demo's for our solar line as it is relatively easy to do so. Actually just visited the Bay Area to demo the line for a client. It turned out well as our pieces were recommended to the entire block.

I guess for us, the major factors are seriousness and distance.
  9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Tonights demos. Why doesn't anyone else post pics? Are you not taking pictures of your work?

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Tim that looks sweet.

Very nice set up. Those columns would look great with some flat shrouded Nova's cored in!!