1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Live oak leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Question to southern cutters,
    How do you remove live oak leaves from St Augustine? I have been mulchig them up until now but there are so many. and now they are packed in pretty good. It seems there is not enough surface area of the leaves for them to get sucked up.

Does anyone use a JRCO rake and then mulch? or is that just plain silly.
  2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

oak leaves are very slow decomposing leaves, you don't want to just mulch them full time you do want to bag them most of the time.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've been mulching the Live Oak leaves with success. I use single gator mulching blades and it works great on my Hustler Z. I haven't had a single customer express any interest in bagging them up, so I can't see investing in equipment to do it. The Oak leaf problem should go away as soon as we get enough rain to stop the trees from dropping leaves. We had a really cold winter here in central FL and that has also contributed to the leaf problem.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I mulch them with a high lift blade in one direction back and forth until they are gone
  6. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

How do you see what you are doing with that contraption? Jrco then blow with a Strong backpack off the lawn (Redmax of course).