Living Fence

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 1MajorTom, Jan 5, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I want to create a living fence. 175 ft long, it's sloped 15 degrees. I want something not too wide, but something that will grow fast for privacy. I want it to grow 10 ft high, but relatively fast within 5 years say? We want to be able to maintain this at that height for years to come without it looking butchered. Ever see stuff that gets too tall, then gets trimmed, and it just has that butchered chopped up look? don't want that.
    We also want to create it in a raised bed a ft and a half above ground level, say 4 ft wide. Any good ideas, something maybe not normally thought of, that we could choose from???

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Skip Laurel?

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

sun? shade? what's the exposure? how is the drainage? anything else you can provide would be helpful

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

mainly sunny, small sloped hill, it's topsoil and a little sand, from what we can tell from where groundhogs have dug. this property is just a piece of land, it hasn't been worked, haven't dug yet on it.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Leyland Cypress will have that topped look, but its probably the fastest way to get what you want.

6. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

what zone are you in?

china boy holly
    frazier photinia
    golden privet

7. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

Jersey pinnacle holly

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Burning bush they grow fast and reach full growth of 12' in about 5yrs and are easy, very easy to maintain and turn a deep shade of red in fall. During summer make a great natural privacy fence.

9. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on yahoo for living fence. There's lots of info, instructions and pics. A living fence is different than screening. I thought the same thing that any shrubs/trees with complete coverage was a living fence. It's thinking of the shrubs as a single continual structure. Which to me sounds like the same thing?

10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Like dirty water said and I like Arizona cypress to.