Living In A Apartment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by the angler, May 31, 2008.

1. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

i've been mowing lawns and doing landscape work for about ten years now on the side ....second full time job, my wife found a real nice town house reallllll cheap she knows the owner , does any one here live in a complex type situation and still mow lawns what do you do with your equipment ??? any considerations or comments
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I dont, however I have a friend that's in the same sit. you are.

He rents a storage buld to keep all his equiptment...

He got the largest one he could find " one of those Self storage units " Gettint the larger one he has Electric in it. so there's no issue with sharpning baldes and such.

it's fairly close to him so he says it's like going to work everyday, and not living at your job... He thinks I'm crazy because I work outta the house...

the truth is he may have something there....

Good luck
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to rain on that parade but you got to be SUPER careful with those storage places, due to theft (and I mean it can and will happen, yes it is that bad)... That having been said that does sound like one of the more feasible options, you'll want to check on the cost and compare it to the savings you'd be getting due to cheaper rent too thou.
  4. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I live in an apartment and the complex has storage sheds on the property here. We get discounted rates because we live here as well.

However, I do not use them. I have a 5 car garage I had built at my parents house when I still lived there and it's only 1 mile from my house. So I keep everything there...
  5. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

thanks for the responses guys ... i thought about the storage unit idea before but like mentioned i was worried about theft im insured but still that would not be good to have my stuff snatched moving to make the wife happy we currently live an hour or so from her family that she is really close to so keeping her happy keeps me happy i gues goin to keep my accounts out here but im goin to lose my contacts when i move so it is kinda like starting from scratch in a way
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

theif is NOT an issue. all your equiptment should be covered anyway, and most storage units offer insurance. the ones around me are the gated type..

also, I was offered 1/2 a shop, kind of like those toco bells/kentucky fried chicken places. one on one side/ the other on the other side. ya might wanna look into that.

it's kind of like having a room mate. and ya can take it off on your taxes.

Good luck
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I park my trailer in front of the garage door at my house. My dog will handle anyone messing with it. If I'm not using it, I park the mowers in the garage.
  8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking into one of those right now. Myself, father-in-law, and his best friend are all getting the squeeze from the old ladies to get our crap out the garages. They're practically neighbors and I just live a few minutes away so we're looking to buy a big shop. They like to work on cars and I have some machinery I'd like to set up and use.