llc c- corp s-corp ???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hobbsd, Jan 23, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I'm looking into incoporating this year, I live in wisconsin, can someone help me as to what type I should become? I know that the LLC is probably the easiest way to do things but what is best. I am hoping to have a several people working for me, and we do more than lawn care, we do some "handy-man" style work on houses for real estate agents.

Dan

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I like the llc. They all have their pro's and con's. The llc seemed to be the best fit for me. The c corp seemed to be for more of a larger biz. Do you have an attorney or accountant? I spoke with both, and my attorney helped me to decide which would be the best structure for my business. I know that this doesn't really help much. Again, the llc worked best for me at this stage.

3. hobbsd

from west wi

I do not have an attorney or an accountant. I am a college student and am trying to save on expenses. Am I crazy for not having an attorney?

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I wouldn't say that you are crazy. Of course I don't know. Just Kidding(lol). I just felt that having an attorney and an accountant for me made good business sense. They helped me to set up my business structure properly, and helped me to determine what made sense for me. Also, the accountant helped me record keeping practices as well as tax information. I felt that the money spent would be worth more to me in the long run. I am not an attorney, but if you are a small to medium size company IMO llc would work for you. Again, that is JMO.

5. hobbsd

from west wi

a little more hlep from some others?

6. Bulldog26

Bulldog26 LawnSite Member

I don't think you crazy for not having an attorney, but I do think you crazy for not having an accountant. If your making any money at this than get an accountant. It will save you money in the long run.
    bt

7. JHIGGS

JHIGGS LawnSite Member

You can look on the Internet to find the local SBA and they can help with any questions you have and it doesn't cost a dime. Local taxes at work!

8. hobbsd

from west wi

can you explain the sba thing a bit farther, not quite sure what you mean.

9. roger miller

roger miller LawnSite Member

I have a cpa and a lawyer both. i'm glad i have both. i am in the process of becoming llc too. best for my situation.

10. RRHAMMONS

RRHAMMONS LawnSite Member

If you are going to be the sole owner, you should use an llc. If you are the sole member, you file the llc on your 1040 schedule C but you still have the limited liability of a corporation.