LLC establishment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Novaowner, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me what is involved in establishing your company as an LLC, and how long it takes? Thanks.
  2. JHLawns

JHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am new myself but from what I have gathered through research you can either hire an attorney or got to your state website and file the paperwork yourself.

I am in NJ and the website offers online filing or printing & mailing of the forms. I have already printed them so that I know what is involved but will probably file online. As far as time frame - I honestly do not know.
  3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I was pretty lucky...because my sister in law is a para-legal....and did it all for me lol
  4. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

for 40 bucks go up to stables, or office dep. and ask them for the package for starting a small company, think the company name is bizsmart or something along those lines, they will take care of everything for you and give you a detailed breakdown of each way to incorporate yourself and which is better for you.
  5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Each state might be a little different. Go to your states Secretary of State Website and you will find all fo the filing requirements. Or at least, a phone number to their office so you can ask further questions.

I am going to file my LLC after the first fo the year so that I so not have to pay now and then renew in Jan.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 LLCs for investment reasons, The Lawyer way is the easy way but the most dollars. If you can do it on your own it is the way to go.
    Because I do everything thru my lawyer I do that and it is up to $675.00 now. But that includes all filling fees and By-Laws too.
    I know there are firms that do it as low as $400.00 around here.
  7. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

Hi JH
    i am also from NJ & i set up my LLC in may. I ended up filing over the phone. The whole process was easy from there. I think i had the certificate of incorporation in a week or two.
  8. Thelawncowboy

Thelawncowboy LawnSite Member

I know this may seem dumb but whats an LLC?
  9. coolbreeze

coolbreeze LawnSite Member

Limited liability corporation (a simplier form of a corporation). it only cost me about $200 to get setup (filing fees with my state and county). forms were available online at my SOS and county web site. i also got my FEIN (federal employer identification number) because i didn't want to use my ssn. i printed the form from the site, then i called them with the information and got the number over the phone.
  10. JHLawns

JHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the info. I'm glad the process was easy, one thing to not worry about.