LLC Guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Mar 13, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

For those of you with sole proprietorship LLCs and employees:

Did you apply for an EIN for the LLC, or for an EIN for yourself? I am applying for an EIN for the LLC, and reading the instructions. According to the instructions, if you are a sole prop LLC you can just apply for an EIN in your name and use that. If you apply in the name of the LLC, you will get one for the LLC and one for you. Since it's saturday and my lawyer/cpa aren't open, I'm bringing this up. What did you do?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this is what you do or they will do...your old EIN will be a personal one, and then they will give you a new one for the business. Make sure to tell them that you already have an EIN and they will make that your personal

3. mtdman

My old EIN was for the old partnership. I didn't have employees last year and just used my ssn for the business as a sole prop. I don't think I can use the old EIN anymore as a sole prop. Will they issue a new one for both the LLC and me? And do I need both, or should I just get one for me?

4. tiedeman

from earth

I can't help you out there. More than likely you will have to get two new ones.

I don't know if you have done this yet, but make sure to get the articles of organization first, then the EIN, and then finally a certificate of assumed name if the old business name will still be run under the new LLC

5. mtdman

The LLC is all set up and I've been running under it for a year. Did you also get an assumed name with your llc? My lawyer thought that was a bad idea, but I don't think it would hurt. My name, sans the LLC, I still hold a dba on for the county. I think you can get an assumed name for the whole state, can't you?

6. tiedeman

from earth

my DBA name is Tiedeman Lawn & Landscaping, while the LLC is Tiedeman, L.L.C.

The reason that I set up the LLC like that as just a plain name is for if I ever want to put other names under it. So basically I only use Tiedeman Lawn & Landscaping

The state I don't know, I know that for sure the county.

7. mtdman

Is the DBA in your name or the name of the LLC?

8. tiedeman

from earth

DBA in the name, not LLC. You do not need to get a DBA for the LLC if using an assumed name.

at least that is what my accountant and lawyer told me

9. mtdman

HUH? My LLC is in my name. I also still have my DBA for the old bus, but in my name as well. I wondered if I should switch the DBA to the LLC? IE TJ's Lawn Care, LLC dba TJ's Lawn Care. My lawyer just said to drop the DBA totally.

10. tiedeman

from earth

what do you mean that he said to drop the DBA totally?

The DBA is in Tiedeman Lawn & Landscaping, in which I got the DBA years ago, and then just this past year I got the LLC in Tiedeman, L.L.C.

I first did the articles of organization in which I got the number from the state, then I called up and got my new EIN for the LLC, and my old number is now my personal. After that I filed an certificate of assumed name, for Tiedeman Lawn & Landscaping can be run under the entity of Tiedeman, L.L.C.

That is basically my story with dealing with the LLC.