LLC operating Agreement

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mikefromny, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

anybody have any of them (templates) or know how it works , ny ? any other states

2. mikefromny

somebody gotta know what im talking about right?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I tried it a couple of years ago...waste of time IMO. How do you even know you want to be a LLC?

4. mikefromny

hows it a waste of time? u need this to complete LLC , so thats what im trying to do and any HELPFUL information id appreciate

5. rodfather

Are you talking about one of those "do it yourself" kits you can buy/get on the Internet for like 50 bucks or so?

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Mikefromny, Are you a partnership or a sole proprietor? If you are a one person LLC you do not need an Operating Agreement.
    If the LLC has more than one member than you do even if it is a spouse, friend, or relative. I am not sure about your specific operation, so I do not know if you need one or not. As far as a template goes, I am sorry I do not have one. My attorney does all of the business paper work of that nature for me. I am sure you can buy one online like Rodfather stated.

7. mikefromny

i got all the LLC done articles of org. and all that stuff , i am a sole prop. so , i wouldnt need this in new york state or is that just new jerz

8. mikefromny

rodfather i dont know im just looking to complete the process and this seems like the last step a operating agreement so i came here to see if i need it or what to do and so forth and so on , any 411 id appreciate alot thanks

9. rodfather

Sorry, I am not a lawyer and don't know what the state of ny requires...I only know what the state of nj asked of me when I went LLC a number of years ago.

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Mike the way I understand it from my attorney you will not need it for a sole proprietor. The way that he explained it is that you do not need an operating agreement to show how you are going to operate with yourself.

I am not 100% sure if this is a NJ thing, or an LLC thing. The way that I understood it to be is an LLC thing. I hope that this is helpful. I would probably get a 2nd opinion though. Like Rod said I am not an attorney, so I do not want to lead you done the wrong path.