LLC, S-corp, DBA?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GreenscapesWV, Aug 2, 2013.

1. GreenscapesWV

GreenscapesWV LawnSite Member

I was curious what the best route would be and what exactly is the differences? I am solo right now in a new state, Ive always worked dba before but never checked into the others. any input I would appreciate.
  2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact an accountant. We're just grass cutter's on here.
  3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Set up an appointment with a CPA, a good one is worth every penny they will charge you.
  4. jhayden

jhayden LawnSite Member

DBA & a single member LLC can be filed on your personal taxes under schedule c. An LLC also limits your personal liability.

S-Corp allows you to file as a corporation, but have the income flow through to your personal taxes avoiding double taxation that a larger corporation would receive. The S-Corp filing will also avoid self eployment tax as long as you have paid yorself a reasonable salary.

I hope this helps.

GOATMAN GEORGE LawnSite Member

Go to your secretary of state website.

READ, they have a whole business section. It will save you tons of $ it is simple to understand and choose whatever is right for your personal situation.
  6. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

Like others said an accountant will be able to give you the best advice but in general a sole owner/operator doesn't really gain anything by going with an LLC or S-corp. If you start hiring employees that changes the game.
  7. XYZLawnPros

XYZLawnPros LawnSite Senior Member

Who is forcing you to ask the state/county/city/gov for permission to be an upstanding business owner?

And by what force are they using?

If you don't screw over your fellow human, you have my vote not to need their permission to do anything.
  8. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

I would do the s corp. it had many more options in case the $hit hits the fan. Avoiding the self employment tax would be one of them as well