LLCquestion

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Johnson LCO, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I filed to incorporate as an LLC. I saw somewhere that my official name is XXX Landscaping LLC. So do I have to have "LLC" after my name in my logos and advertisements or can I just write XXX Landscaping? This might not be a big deal but I just want everything to be correct. Any advice is appreciated.

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a tricky gray area...talk to your lawyer..IMHO ...better safe than sorry.

3. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

like buckeye said. Had a buddy incorporate and they had to put INC. after everything. I think you do?

4. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

You may be able to file a DBA (doing business as) and have your DBA as the name without the LLC. Talk to a lawyer (call a friend or uncle- that way it's free) or maybe talk to an accountant when you do your taxes (I always ask lots of questions as they do my taxes- that way they only charge me for doing my taxes, not the time for asking questions)- An accountant may not know, but they do a lot with some business issues, so they just might.

I put LLC behind mine just because I think it establishes me as a legitimate business, but that's just how I do it, there's no problem with not adding it if you can do so legally. I really think you would just have to file a DBA though, then you'd be set.

5. Trader Rick

Trader Rick LawnSite Member

When we filed our LLC, our lawyer told us we have to use the LLC on everything, the intity we created is XXX Landscape, LLC not XXX Landscape anymore. So LLC it is.

6. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

You can have XXX Landscape LLC, DBA John's Taxi Sercice and it is perfectly legit to call your business "John's Taxi Service". When someone looks up your registered name of John's Taxi Service on the state records it will show XXX Landscape as the registered name of the business. Sorry- dumb example, but point is you can call it anything you want as long as you register a DBA with the state letting them know that is an "alias" for your company.

7. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

I second rmmLLC hey wait a minute...........

8. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

LOL, like I said, I like it there to establish legitimacy.

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need to put the LLC on your logo. My company is set up as an LLC and the LLC appears on invoices, proposals, correspondence, and website. My logo does not contain LLC, nor do I mention it when I speak with people.