Lm21sw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maustm, Mar 22, 2010.

1. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

As far as the Ariens or Gravely LM21 mowers, anyone ever invest in the mulch kit for these things? I typically bag or use the chute, and have never heard of anyone actually using the muclh kit. It includes a blade and baffle. My dealer told me he does not recommend them, do any of you?

2. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have the gravely with the kohler and I just put the mulch plate on and it works great. Just dont try it wet or on bye weekly cuts.

3. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

How's the Kohler XT-7? Do you have a lot of hours on it?

4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the SW21 with mulch kit and it worked great. I've been a big fan of their push mowers for quite some time and recently just picked up their Pro-21. Hoping it will be here this week! The biggest issue I had with the SW line is the removable "treads" for the rear wheels. It's a good idea in concept but under a lot of use they will need replacing often. They should either make them thicker or just add a solid wheel with ball bearings which is what the pro has.

5. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

As far as the xt-7 engine, I have no complaints. When I bought I felt like I was taking a chance, but have been happy. I probably have 100 hours on the engine. So far I changed the oil after 5 hours. It sat in cold storage for 5 months so I replaced the plug, air and fuel filter, started on the first pull. I make sure I balance the blade well and the engine runs smooth, not a lot of vibration. So no problems so far.

6. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

dwost, my only complaint about the mower was it leaves a single trail of clippings when I mow, but I don't have the mulch kit. Did you get a trail of clippings with the kit? I tyically discharge because of this, but would like to mulch... a bit less cleanup.

7. dwost

Nope, just stuck in the mulch plug and went at it. I did throw a gator blade on it which made a difference but I never had any widrow issues with it. It would choke down a bit on taller grass if I missed a mowing but overall the cut was great for a 21.

8. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I am a kawi guy but have to say the kohler has been great. When I use the mulching plug I have no straglers. I also have mulching issues when grass is wet or has been skipped but that is with the standard blade. I will be getting another one but it will not have the swivel casters, I just dont like the height adjustment but does work well.

9. dwost

I just found out the Pro-21 that I ordered is BEING BUILT........kinda shocked but I guess they have just started building them for 2010 and none have left the factory yet. Looks like it's about 7-10 days out before I get it. I'll be sure to post up a bunch of pics along with the results once I start cutting.

10. maustm

maustm LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Dowst - hopefully they will have it built and to you soon, I am anxious to hear how it performs, I almost bought the pro 21 too.

Last question on the mulch kit, was you kit just the mulch plug and a gator blade or did you have the black baffle installed as well? I have also mulched with just the plug and get the line of clumps, so I was considering installing the whole kit with the baffle and all, I already have a gator for it.

Thanks