1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Load Handler Questions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Darryl G, Apr 5, 2010.

1. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Bought one last fall for leaves,saves a lot of time,raking them off the bed,money well spent,no damage to tailgate.If the load gets hung up on wheel wells(usually when wet) I pull out a handful or so from either side,that does the trick,for dry mulch should work fine,I have a plastic bedliner and 8ft bed, I highly recommend the loadhandler.
  2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Like i said some guys have had great luck with them but for what i was using it for it was not worth it.when i had to kill myself to crank it then have to go clean what it left was not worth it to me. but some guys love them maybe they have improved it since when i got mine it was a long time ago and i have since gone with a dump trailer. I guess it's all on what your going to load on it light stuff it would be fine topsoil, dirt not going to work . and how much your going to use it 1 to 5 loads a year makes sense
  3. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I could see it getting hung up with a bed full of topsoil,but if you position a heavier load only on the fabric it should work;you don't want it jambing up behind the wheel wells.Good inexpensive solution for homeowners ,but a contractor who needs to move a lot of material on a regular basis would be better off with the dump bed insert.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

maybe a bigger truck? 4 acre, 15 loads and a toyota? wtf. Could get a 1/2 ton truck used for what 4-7k? Prob find one with a 2k dump insert already too.

My buddy has one and he loves it/swears by it. Ive never tried it and honestly if i go with anything it'll be dump inserts, dump trailers and dump bodies.
  5. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

I got the 3000lb model off of craigslist for $60 and I love that thing... Hauled 2 scoops of mulch and 1 scoop of crushed stone and cranked with very little effort. Saved me a lot of time.
  6. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I have had one for years, I have never had it lock up. A plastic bedliner will work fine. The part that straps to the tailgate will scratch the paint, in my old work truck it,s not an issue. I,m sure you can put some kind of padding under the part that touches. I think purchasing one is a good investment.
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks...I think she's gonna get one...for the price it's worth a try I think.