1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Loaded tires.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Woodland, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I've decided on the L3400, industrial tires. Seems it will be a great machine for my uses, mostly loading materials at my yard (good gravel lot) with some use on site doing landscaping - most likely "excavation" and tilling for new lawns. The dealer will fill the tires at no charge, with, I assume, calcium not foam. What are the advantages and disadvantages to filled tires? I realize that filled tires add weight to the tractor, but would a counterweight on the back (3pt hitch) make up for it?
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

DO NOT fill tires with calcium-it eats steel rims. Also makes a good herbicide when a tire blows. Use steel or cast wheel weights-you can always take them off if you want to. Third best solution is to use methanol or windshield washer fluid-it doesn't eat the metal.:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:
  3. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Mine are filled on my B-7510, makes a world of difference. Its the best way to add weight, lowest center of gravity. Works better when using the loader and nothing on the back and on hills.
  4. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

If you are going to fill with calcium, pay the extra money and have tubes installed. If you tube the tires before having them filled the evil liquid wil not eat the rims.
  5. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

But calcium near doubles the weigt per gallon.
  6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Rim guard is the best fill product for tractor tires. With filled rears, you will always have counter weight for loader work, better traction, lower COG and better stability.
  7. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Couple more questions.

1. If calcium eats steel rims, why do they fill tires with calcium?

2. Are there any pros to NOT filling the tires? I hesitate to pay extra to fill the tires with a foam product (rimguard?) because its final! If I decide I don't want the tires filled with the calcium, I can always drain it out.
  8. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Only advantage to not filling the tires are less weight (less compaction) and when you run something through the tire it is easier to fix when not filled than when filled. Also if you have to take them off, the unfilled tires are easier to handle than the filled tires.

I have tired loaded in several tractors, yes it will eat steel but we're talking over a period of time not 1 or 2 years and if you have tubes in them you'll be fine. The only place you'll have a problem on filled tires is around the valve stem, rust always sets in there first. It has to have oxygen to start the deterioration, which is why it starts to eat away at the valve stems first. I've got an 89 tractor that the tires have been filled since day one and it is starting to rust at the valve stem which can be fixed with a wire wheel on a grinder and a can of paint. It is not leaking yet it just looks bad in one spot.
  9. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Do not use calcuim! Rim guard is beat juice, not foam. Cast iron is your best weight, but big $. I would go with the rim guard if you want cheep weight.
  10. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Calcium will take a long ammount of time to eat through, if it is not exposed to air it really can't do its thing,its when you have a flat or change tires that the rusting really starts. Still, I personally feel more comfortable with winshield wash, it won't harm the rim and if you get a flat and it leaks out no big deal. Calcium is used because A it won't freeze and B its heavier. As far as cons to filling tires, well, as mentioned, they can be a bear weight wise if you have to take them off for some reason but,with a new ractor, should be a long time before you have to remove the tires for replacement or to work on the rig.