1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Loaded trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tharrell, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

My new trailer is pretty loaded up. Already thinking of a tandem, maybe 20 ft?
    What's the most useful length?

2. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

I have a tandem 18ft with your name on it.
  3. Tharrell

I'd get it made at Tesh if I get one, sorry. I've learned that I'm not happy with most trailers I've seen on the trailer lots. Most are underbuilt and/or aggravating to use. The bright side for you is, steel has gone up and utility trailers don't depreciate. You should get a good price if you hang on to it until the right person comes along.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

18ft is usually big enough for most anything you want to do. I have one, and put 2 60" lazers, and a 48" walkbehind on it. Unless your running a 6 man crew anything over 18ft is overkill
  5. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Trailers are like most of my old girfriends. No matter what one you have they are still a *****. And having more than one is just too complicated.
  6. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice security system for the trailer.:)
    I know a few guys around here that keep dogs on their trailers while working and they don't have any equipment walking away.
  7. Cornwell

Cornwell LawnSite Member

I like that side gate! I would like to install one on my 16'. Anybody have any good pics of a gate lift assist? I love my tandem 16' everything I need is in arms reach good enough to make the day go fast.
  8. Tharrell

Check my username. I posted some really good pics of my lift assist on the side and the rear. It's the best system I've ever seen. Oh yeah, she's not really guarding it, it was just handy to tie her to the loop at the rear of the trailer with a 20 ft lead.
  9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Forget about the dog, take off in the truck and no more doggy. I wouldn't tie my dog up to the trailer. ;)
  10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

18ft has been perfect for me, I can haul both of my Dixie choppers and my walk-behind and still have room for brush and trash if I have to haul it off on of my property's. My buddy has a 20ft and he said he works for him which again he hauls 3 Dixie choppers though. I had a 12ft at first and out grew it with in a year so an 18ft should do just fine for you.