Loader arm cracks to look for on 873's

Discussion in 'Accurate Machinery' started by accurate machinery, Sep 9, 2007.

1. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

I am not trying to pick on Bobcat but I had 2 of these this past week, this is the older series 873, (pre G series). Since this model the Loader arms have had a few revisions, and are much improved. Here are 2 different machines with the exact same cracks, developing on both sides of the machine, and on the inside and outside of each arm. Watch out for this crack, I have seen many of these arms broken completely in half!

2. accurate machinery

I have owned about 70 JD skid steers, most of them were the 200 series, a dozen or so of the New Holland Built 7775 and 8875. I have to give JD credit, someone there must of said "when we build our own machine we are going to build a loader arm that isn't going to break". I haven't had a 200 series loader arm with a weld repair. Not one! I can't say that about their backhoe loaders. That includes all of the 200 series machines built since 1999. I have seen many welded loader arms on the NH built machines, 7775 and 8875 (basically the same machine as the NH LX 665 and LX 885). I have seen lots of quick attach plate problems on the pin and bushings and broken release levers, but what manufacturer doesn't have that? I am not saying that JD skid steers do not have their issues, that is another volume in this series. I can't criticize the loader arm for being weak.
    I have only had a handful of the 300 series machines and I have to admit it looks like the rear black pivot section is lighter than on the 200 series. Still I have not encountered a repaired or twisted loader arm.
  3. accurate machinery

In an effort to save my skin, I am going to answer you with a PM. I will post the first paragraph of a document that I wrote and I will send it to anyone that wants it.
    I have a really hard time with that question, I get asked all the time.
    Talking skid steer loaders, not track machines.
    The fact is I like certain aspects of all the machines. I like vertical lift machines, usually a vertical lift machine also has the long wheel base so it is also a more stable machine especially on slopes. I live in the hills… I also like large engine machines, I don’t necessarily mean large machines. Skid steers with more engine than necessary have the ability to be run at ½ or even ¼ throttle and get work done are going to cut down on operator fatigue and engine wear. I know some will say it is recommended that the machine is supposed to be run at full throttle for the hydrostatics and hydraulics to perform at 100 % efficiency. Let them pay for the fuel, the operator fatigue, hydraulic hoses and the engine down the road. I say if there is a demand for power throttle it up. The Case 1840 and 1845C were prime examples of big engine, small machine. Of course they aren't produced anymore, and they aren't vertical lift. The 1840's had a tendency to blow out their chain cases in the rear, possibly because of carrying that big engine around!