Loader bucket cavitation problems...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawn Pawn, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

If this has been addressed before, sorry I missed it. Any cure for cavitation... bucket lag and flop on John deere 430 loader on 4300? I am aware of "settings lever" on tractor but this makes no difference. Have always had this problem. Thanks!

2. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member

How many hours on your machine and under what conditions is it happening? All the time, hot, cold,etc.

3. Lawn Pawn

from zone 3

Sinjon... Machine has about 300 hrs. Major lag and flop is grading. Carry and dump a bucket of base... go to backdrag with cuting edge down... and when apply down presure... or not.. with hoist cylinders.. crowd cylinders fold to almost flat bucket. Big lag in response to bring bucket back to desired position.

4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Usually cavitation is due to air leaks on the suction side of the system, or restricted fluid flow.

5. R.M Hanson

R.M Hanson LawnSite Member

Hi there, I just saw that you are having some issues with your tractor. I had a 1999 JD4300, with the same loader and the same problem. These tractors use a regenerative hydraulic valve to help speed up the dump cycle. This is a special type of valve that directs some of the fluid from one end of the cylinders to the other without returning it to the resavoir. Mine went bad luckily under warranty, otherwise I think it's about a $1200 repair. I'd see your dealer, as I think some were recalled, and maybe it was missed. Good luck and I hope this helps.

6. Lawn Pawn

from zone 3

I would like to thank those that responded to my problem! I will give a very short update to this concern. I will paraphrase a most knowledgable John Deere mechanic that shared this information with me...... John Deere realized this saftey concern and started installing a .. restrictor valve.. on the head line for the hoist. They also have a better quality qwick coupler for the loader lines. The .. better... ones have a silver center as apposed to the ..gold.. These are to in theory provide a better seal to prevent bypass. Also the ..black... rams or rods if you will, are the better. So I have installed the restrictor valve.. I have the black rams and the bad couplers.
    There is no dicernable improvement. It may be the valve body itself, that sells for about $450.00 I think I will live with this as is for now!!