loader is about to roll

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Ned5485, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just bought a used sub compact tractor. It is a ford/new holland 1215. I am not sure if I just need some weights or what? If I am on any sort of side hill, I feel like it is just seconds away from rolling. I have had it on 2 wheels 4 or 5 times already. And i am being very carefull too. Moving as slow as I can, with the bucket as close to the ground as possible. The hills dont seem to be that steep to me. But, if i hit a little hump, or a wheel goes down a little, I feel it lean.

Are wheel weights going to help alot? I hope so, otherwise I am positive I am going to get hurt.

Thanks for any input

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Can you adjust the rear tread? Are the tires filled?

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

My JD 4310 always feels like it is going to roll on any incline too, but it never has. I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread. I've always just blamed in on a "compact tractor thing" and just made sure I olny do what I feel comftorable with. I have never been on a hill with a compact tractor and felt stable. They just arn't wide enough and too top heavy.

4. lawn king

Same question on your fine machine FTD?

5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

The tires arn't filled... yet. Probably by the winter they will be. What do you mean by adjust the rear tread? Make the wheels and tires further out on the axle? If so, I doubt I can do that.

6. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

We basically have the same tractor and I have been in some situations where my heart has literally stopped. Even shallow ditches make me nervous. My old 2040 was the same width but it just felt more stable in ditches and small inclines.

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 LawnSite Member

Turn rear wheels out, fill tires with windshield fluid and put a boxblade on the rear. Don't buy a cheap boxblade buy a heavy one. The extra weight will make your tractor much more usefull and a pleasure to operate.:drinkup:

8. lawn king

Some tractors have adjustable rear wheel width. if you are working hills it can help the stability of the machine a lot. Filled tires makes a huge difference as well, not only in stability but in the overall ride.

9. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

My tires are not filled or adjustable. It always feels like it wants to roll, but a few times tires have actually left the ground. I have to lower the bucket to the ground to get all 4 tires back down.
    I am wondering if wheel weights are the solution?

10. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I had a rear blade from another tractor, and I tried putting it on. I figured it would work as well as the ballast boxes I have seen. It is pretty heavy, probably to big and heavy for this little tractor. But, it didnt help at all, just made the tractor work harder to get around. There must be something i can do. I just dont see how anybody could effectively use a setup like mine. At first I thought I was just being to worried, but the last time I had both right side tires more than a foot off the ground. I was on a pretty modest slope too. (I would not even have noticed the incline on my last tractor) Anyway, I guess I freaked out a little, and slammed the bucket back down in a hurry. I ended up snapping a stearing rod.

Has anybody had positive results with weights?