Loader Tires

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by firedog, Apr 21, 2000.

1. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

for those of you that have loaders I have a question? What kind of tires do you run bias ply or radial? does it matter?. how about tread %? My loader needs tires i think there under 20%. I haven't pushed with it so i don't know if it will work or not. Any comments?

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Iv'e only used radials,and I dont like them for loader work because sooner or later your going to run them a little low on air,and they really squat with a full bucket.I have 2 sets of front tires with great tread that are junk because all the cords have come right thru the inside of them from running them low with the loader on.Once that happens you cant run tubes in them and they repuncture themselves over every bump,making them useless.I have no experience with bias on a loader,so I cant comment on them.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok I am not a tire expert or a mechanic. Thank god i have a good friend that is. So I am not sure what i have by techical terms.<p>When i think of radial, i think of a tire like a truck tire. Only a tire with that tread patteren on a loader? I don't think so.<p>If you give me some more info about the terms of tires you used. I will tell you how i am set up.<p>Only on my Kubota loader and skid steer, i decided to use a industrial tire. This tire provides a better defence against punctures. Not as good in the snow, but i have to think about the work this thing has to do in the off season.<p><br>I wonder if there a snowpusher on the market for my kubota loader??? Maybe i will try to build one. I think i might try it. <p>Geoff<br>Geoff

4. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

what terms do you need? you lost me

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

raidal and the other type of tire, what do they mean?<p>Geoff

6. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

I don't know the difference either I thought some might. All I know is radials are a lot of money comared to bias ply.

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok guys radial tires are more for road work lots of travel less digging, hard surfaces will give better ride for operator, bias ply means stronger side belts harder ride but better loading<p><p>----------<br>paul<p>

8. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

what about tread depth as in %? how low is to much. does it depend on the machine weight

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

tread depth is % of tread left from new<p>----------<br>paul<br>