1. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We're looking at trying to go after some large lots this winter and to do so we'll need a front end loader or a loader/backhoe. For those of you familiar with using them for snow, what different suppliers could we try if we want to rent/lease one for the winter? Equipment rental companies? Construction companies? It may be different price-wise up here but what would renting a loader for say December 1st-March 31st cost? $1,000/month? $2,000? I have no idea? Any info/experience would be appreciated. <p>Even when the rain has us a full day behind on our lawns we're still thinking snow!<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com
  2. snow

snow Guest

Well, it depends how big your lots are, if you're going to have a snow pusher or blade on it, and your budget. I know united rentals has very nice john deere loaders and backhoes. They've taken over a lot of smaller rental stores around here. Any equipment at those stores that is older than 3 years gets replaced.&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.unitedrentals.com&quot;&gt;United rentals&lt;/a&gt; also offers specials on winter rentals i think. Also check with contractors that might not use their loaders in the winter to see if you can get a good deal on one for rent. Equipment stores also rent out equipment. Nations rent is another large rental store.<p><br>Bryan<p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The best way to deal with this is to sub out to a const. co. They will charge between 75-100 per hr, but you dont carry the cost of the machine, and dont need an operator.<br>Buy a protech box blade and they will do a ton work in no time.<br>If you need to rent, go to a local equipment dealer. They will be happy to rent you a unit,and usually you will get a better rate since they will sit on the eqipment during the winter. Make sure they will give you a minimum amout of hours per month,and if you have per push accounts, get a fixed monthly amount to cover your costs.<br>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: plowking35
  4. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

Also check Hertz they rent loaders, trucks ans bobcats. The price depends on size of loader. I know guys that pay 3000-5000 a month for a loader, and last year they only plowed 2 times thank god for salt! I agree with Dino if your starting off try to sub it out so there are not additional cost to you if it don't snow. Around Chicago guys are geting $80 and up depending on size and year. Another option is a skidsteer. They are cheaper and if you get a big one they work very well. You could even take the chance to wait till it snow then go rent one for the day or so for 100-400. It's better than $1000 + a month, but on the down side they may not be there if you need them. Also ( I'm almost done) you have to reserve them early in the year( sept. at the lasted) to even get one for the winter. Expesely around my area.<p>----------<br>Rob S.<br>