1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in getting a loader for snow removal, salt loading, landscape work. What brand, type, size do you all reccomend,use or have?Should i get a large wheel loader or a tracter loaderor skid loader? Thanks<p>Nick

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

OK thats a hard one to answer.<p>A kubota 450 or 540 is great for landscaping, and loading salt, but can't more much snow.<p>A cat 916 is great for moving snow and loading sand and salt, but won't work for landscaping.<p>Geoff

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

We own a 2000 Bobcat 773. Lease a 1999 Cat 914G and a Komatsu 380. We've landscaped with a Kubota 510.<p>I say to so you know I have some experience.<p>Geoff's right on the money.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, what about a Cat 906: 11,000 lb. 60 hp articulator. Could IT do both?

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

How about the New Holland W-50 9,000 lbs,<br>1 cu.yd, or 1.5 cu.yd.<p>unless you have really big landscaping jobs the larger wheel loaders are too big for landscaping. They are needed for snow removal. look at leasing for the winter or get on the good side (spend alot of money) of you local dealer for rental on a as need bases<p>----------<br>paul<br>

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Maybe you should check out either a mid size back hoe. Which would move snow ok, not as well as a loader. Would load salt and other stuff great. Only would be a big landscaping tractor. Or look at a good size farm tractor. I have one of those New Holland 2016, it can move mountains of snow, only doesn't cycle as fast as a kubota loader. Only the New Holland is a very versital machine. <p>Geoff

7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

our smalllest loader is a new holland industrial tractor with a 3pt hitch so it works great for landscaping and pushing snow.its a 545 which can come with a permenant mount backhoe or 3pt hitch which can take a backhoe attachment.the 545 weighs about 10000 lbs. if you have a new holland dealer near by ask him about this machine you might be pleasantly surprised at its price and versitility.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

8. snow

snow Guest

My town has two 545's. They can be used for a lot of applications. In the spring/summer they have a sickle bar mower on it. Int the fall, they put a light material bucket on it for leaf removal. For the winter, their is a curtis plow for it, and when they need to remove snow, they can easily switch back to the light material bucket. One loader can't do everything, you need to look at what you need, the money you're willing to spend, and what you can get for that amount. The 545 is good for snow removal, and loading salt. But you need a tractor that weighs less for landscaping.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com

9. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We own a Case 580SL backhoe and an 1840 skidsteer. Either can load well, and both function well for cleaning snow. Neither will move large volumes - then we get a wheel loader. However, these machines are very versatile all year round, and can be equipped with larger snow implements should the need arise. We use stock buckets on them - a general purpose on the skid steer so it doesn't tip with a load of sand, and a 4in1 bucket on the hoe, which is the most versatile. It is useful also for pulling dumpsters out of snow banks or lifting up handicap parking signs, etc...<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

10. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i got a cub cadet for about 10,000 used. love it great for snow pushing. leave your email for a pic<p>nick