loadhandler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paddy, Mar 31, 2000.

1. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

i'm sure you have all seen ads, on tv and in Northern, for the loadhandler. It rolls out over your bed, and then your supposed to load a bulk loose material, and it acts like a conveyor belt. do they work? i looked at their site, they are velcroed to the tailgate, how secure is that?. I want to use it for mulch, could it pull 2, maybe 3 yds?

2. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Paddy, the load handler actually works well, as long as muclh or grass do not get behind the wheel wells, then you will basiclly roll the tarp up with out the load.

3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for a company once that had a &quot;Load handler&quot; in the back of the lawn crews pickup. It was used primarily for grass clipping 95% of the time. <p>I had the pleasure of dumping it a few times. I wouldn't really call it a &quot;LOAD&quot; handler, more like a &quot;BlOODY KNUCKLE&quot; handler. If you have ever used one, the crank on the tail gate is a bear. To begin, you always have to shovel out about 2/3 of a full truck of clippings before it really moves. Then, when you get there, you have to fight with the handle.<p>As you crank it, the handle pulls up on the tail gate and you end up getting no where. Then, you start getting mad, try to muscle it, and bam, the tail gate goes up and you bang your knuckes on the back of the pickup bed. Not a good feeling.<p>I love the advertisements for it. They show this guy unloading like a ton of 3/4 crushed stone out of his truck. It's funny if you ever watched it. The guys rolls the stone out perfectly while his wife or someone else inches along the driveway and the stone is layed perfectly across the ground. NOT THE CASE.<p>Now, for all intensive purposes, it is helpful for unloading the truck once it gets pretty empty. It saves some time, and I guess I would say it does earn its price tag.<p>However, it is not the dream dumper that they make it out to be.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased one this year. So far this year I have only used it for leaves, sticks and grass from dethatching. (lightweight material so far) I am glad I bought it. It will definately will save me time with grass clippings when they are soggy on the bottom. Even if I do have to rake out the top half layer or so, like steveair said. It is actually held on with straps and not velcro. The velcro is used when the tarp is rolled up so it won't unroll or blow around while driving. The tailgate does tend to come upon you if you go to fast. No it is not as easy as the commercial shows. It might unload 2 yds.???

5. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I CAN'T FIND THE CATALOG RIGHT NOW,BUT FOR A PRETTY REAS.PRICE YOU CAN GET A KIT THAT CONVERTS YOUR FULL-SIZE P/UP INTO A HYDRAULIC DUMP,THAT USES YOUR STOCK BED. I THINK IT IS (NORTHERN EQUIP.SUPPLY?)THAT HAS THEM.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

6. Alan

Alan Member

Those dump kits that convert a regualr pickup body to a hoist are murder on the body. The pickup boxes today are not stout enough to stand being sopported on two points with a load in them, which is what happens as soon as they start to lift. <p>As for a Loadhandler, I've had one for several years, it works great and while I don't use it much anymore (got a real dump truck now) it will drag off a yard of topsoil pretty easily. This is NOT the new, cheap version that has plastic pillow blocks and is generally junk. I think there is a &quot;professional&quot; version that is still steel and has real bearings and good parts, it is quite a bit more expensive than the $90 one in the TV ads

7. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

save your money use a heavy duty tarp and run 2 peices of rope underneith it across each other(like an x)connected at the bumper/hitch your trash tie the rope around a tree oranother truck and just pull forward slowly thats how i used to do it when i did tree work it wont work for speading dirt or mulch evenly on the ground but for just regular dumpng it is great<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I just go flat out in reverse and then hit the brakes.

9. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Way to go Southside---you've made me LOL once again. :) Just goes to show that there's usually more than one way to get rid of a load. <p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

10. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

southside..is the tailgate up or down when you do this