1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Loading a disabled mower into truck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by maal, Feb 10, 2004.

1. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Here is a scenario:

While mowing your ZTR/hydro WB dies on you.

Which is the quickest/most efficient method to get the mower onto the truck, especially cabovers, if it will not start?

-Jay

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Well I had the belt break that runs my hydro pump on my rider, after busting a gut to get it on the trailer I put a winch from a boat trailer on the front of my lawn trailer, sure helps a bunch when that problem happens

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you put an Electric Winch on your truck with about 50' of cable you should be fine. Also make a mount on the trailers front so you can pull it up the ramp. See i have had them break down on hills in the yard. If you cant get it to the truck a short cable winch on the trailer is no good.
    john

4. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Any mounting recommendations for mounting the winch inside the box?

Seems like alot of tension to mount the winch on the inner walls.

THe winch on the front of the trailer makes alot of sense.

What other mounting options are there for the cabovers?

Jay

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You can have a mount made for the front,You can put a recever on the truck and use that. I had the winch to fit the two places. I would just unpin it and move it to the other location.
    John

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

$30 come-along would do the trick if you didn't have to do it every day.

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We have loaded broken down mowers before by pushing/pulling with a working mower. Wasnt the prettiest experience, but worked nonetheless.

8. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

no one has mentioned anything about turning the dump valve on the hydro to make it roll easier. Some people don't know about them and and try to push/pull a hydro unit. Not only is it very hard to push/pull a unit like this, it can also damage the pump by not turning the dump valves.