1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Loading a Lazer Z w/o ramps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ple_1969, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

I am picking up a Lazer Z this weekend and unfortunately I don’t have a ramp my enclosed trailer. I need the enclosed trailed due to the long drive and all the salt that will be on Rt. 95 this weekend to melt the snow. Is there a safe way to load the ZTR into the trailer? Are ramparts strong enough? Am I nuts for even thinking thats possible...??

All suggestions and comments are welcome…!

2. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

You can use any motorcycle/atv metal ramps, or as a last resort back your trailer up to a ledge/terrace that you can drive the mower on and into the trailer. Good luck
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just to get it up into a trailer shouldn't be a problem with ramps if you're careful. Make sure they're rated for the load. But I bet your dealer will have something around to do the job.
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd call and check, they should though.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

their rite most dealers ,with any time in here have a loading dock of some sort. but u still got to get it off ,when u get home.
    be careful bud it weighs a thousand or so.that can make for a bad day.
    personnally i wouldnt trust my aluminum ramps.u might reinforce the ramps somehow tho.too bad u dont know another lco u could borrow a ramped trailer from.dealer mite hve one he would loan.
    good luck.
  6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Get 2 4ft long 2x6's and bolt some kind of hook or bracket attachment on to it, so that it will hook to the back of the trailer to drive up on. Thats what we use for our 12trailer, cause it has a lip on the back so all we have to do is set the ramps in the lip so when you drive up on the ramp its flush with the back of the trailer and we drive our Turf Tiger up it with no problem. Though they get to be a pain in the butt cause you have to pick them up and store them on the trailer which takes up valuble floor space.
  7. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

mklawnman (Matt),

I was thinking about using a 2x6, 2x8, or a 2x10 to do this. However, I was nervous that the lumber would not handle the weight of a ZTR. You put me a ease knowing that you do this.

I only need to to load and then unload the trailer this way once. Going on a road trip to pick up a Lazer Z a few states away. Got a great price and it is worth the trip.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Must be saving a whole lot...where do you have to go?
  9. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Going down to Maryland to get a 2002 Lazer Z with a 60" deck and only 20 hours on the meter. I'm getting the mower for $5500 cash.

I know someone who started a Lawn cutting business late summer and now is getting out of the business. Since we do know each other, he is giving this to me at a great price. Can't say no to $5500 for a Lazer Z that is practically brand new.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet Deal:D Good Luck with it!