1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Loading a small trailer.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GrassGuerilla, Jul 28, 2013.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

10% is the ideal tongue weight for a tag along trailer. The heavier the load the more important this. IE 400lb load all at the front of the trailer no big deal. But a 4000lb load all at the front is bad. Also 400lbs miss loaded around town (40-50mph) maybe not bad, but 4000lbs miss loaded at freeway speed 60-70 is an accident waiting to happen.

2. nismothunder

nismothunder LawnSite Member

From trailer loading too hitchs.

And yeah, the Pintle hitch on my old Volvo (wrong word, on my old works Volvo) were rated higher then 80k.

But they where used too tow houses.

3. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Wasn't the question about a small trailer? Like a single axle. Or did I miss something.

4. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Well he didn't exactly define small haha my friend gvw in his semi is 160,000, I think anythin under 20k is small haha

5. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

It would? Why? Pulling the same load... Should just beat on the truck (and hitch) more.

6. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I kinda lost track with all the "big balls" conversation. :laugh:

Blame it on my ADD, sail!!

7. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

You didn't miss anything. I didn't specify. Same rules of thumb should apply to most single axle trailers. I'm working with a 5x10, and 6x12.

Trying to save some gas rather than pull a 6x16 double axle everywhere. From what I can see so far the 5x10 saves about 1.37 gallons per day on one route vs the 6x16 (about $5 aday). And that was running A/C with the little trailer. Also made parking WAY easier in the city, again saving time, aggravation and making the day a little easier.

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

Puts more friction on your tries because of the added weight. That's all I can think of, but from experence if feels harder to pull if more weight is on my truck.

9. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Guerilla, you're doing it right (loading) and thinking right (efficiency).

I run a 7'WX12'LX6'H, single axle, 6" tube framed, V-nose, 10-ply tires. I was told, by other lawn guys, I didn't buy enough trailer. I can fit my all my mowers, into this trailer. Though, I almost never take the 42". Also, I use an Andersen WD hitch. Anyway, the single axle pulls so much easier than the tandem, race car trailers most of these guys use and it's a better fit on the streets. I don't ever plan on having a crew. Why pull more than I have to?

There's a lot of unnecessary crap (misinformation), in this thread.

10. JCLawn and more

from MI

Throw a pic up of it. I'd like to see it. Sounds like a odd trailer. For me my 2 trzs would not fit with a v nose on 16ft.