Loading CTL on Trailer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mhilton, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

I just bought a 9 ton trailer for my tl140 the other day, And I was loading it on the trailer to see whether to back it on or pull it on? As for as weight distribution goes they was not to much of a diff. The trailer is 18ft flat deck with a 4ft beaver tail. Does anyone notice any kind of diff. with either straight on or backing it on?

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

9 ton trailer?...thats beefy..hope you have your CDL and registered your truck to carry more the GVWR...anyway we always pull our takeuchi onto the trailer forward, you will be able to tell...as soon as you get on it the tounge will lift up and the further you pull on you will see the tounge transfer the weight to the truck...i usually drive until the back end of the truck sags 3-4" i have found makes a nice smooth ride, so on our trailer it ends up that the cutting edge of the bucket is about 2 feet from the front of the deck on the trailer.

3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I like to load backing on because I like to unload driving off,backing off can be fun if you can't see the ramps:dizzy::dizzy:

minimax

4. ASCHAL45

ASCHAL45 LawnSite Member

Same here it can get a little hairy sometimes

5. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

we either put ares over the tires when it goes one a beaver tail, backing on is just as tricky as backing off, the visability is tough either way, but i have slipped my machine off the ramps backing on when it was icy out one day and from then on i drive on forward and back slowly

6. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

Yeah I wanted to have to much trailer then just enough. The trailer weighs 4300 lbs and the machine is around 9500 lbs Here in nj you do not need a cdl for that weight or endorsements because it has electric brakes. Dirt digger how long is your trailer and is it a deckover?

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If the trailer is a pintle then you want 20% tounge weight it makes it ride better if its a regular ball hitch you only want the standard 10-15%.

You will tell where the truck handles the best and you don't want power steering with the front wheels just touching :laugh:

8. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I like to load it forward and back it off. As long as you center the bucket to the center of the trailer backing it off you will hit the ramps every time. On yours you will want to pull it on since it has a Turbo. Backing it on will allow the 65 MPH winds enter the exhaust and spin your turbo while driving and it won't have any oil pressure to keep it lubricated. It can cause damage after a while so I hear but I have not actually ever seen it happen in person.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The worst thing to load on expecially tilt trailers is rubber tired backhoes they can be challenging.

Anyway you haul your machine make sure your watching where you are on the trailer it only takes a split second to be upside down :laugh:

I never done it but have seen it come close to happening :dizzy:

10. john_bud

john_bud LawnSite Member

Could be wrong, but....

I hope you have about $2500 in a cash account. In NJ, it looks like you do need a CDL for that trailer, unless you are towing it with a ford ranger. Even then, you will get a ticket for overloading. The DOT enforcement officers will probably find a dozen or more infractions on your truck and trailer too. Once, one told me that he could find a dozen infractions on a new truck as it pulled on to the street for the first time. (him ->"So don't piss me off!" , me > yes sir!)

From the NJ DOT
    ------------------------------
    In New Jersey, before you can apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL) from the state's Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), you must first have a regular automobile driver's license, referred to as Class D. In addition, before applying, you will want to be familiar with the threes classes of CDL licenses.

With a Class A license, you will be able to drive:

A truck and trailer that has a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or above, if the trailer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is more than 10,000 pounds.
    --------------------------------

That means that the weight rating (not load or actual weight, the rating) of the truck plus the rating of the trailer is over 26,001. The trailer is 18,000 rating according to you, if you are pulling it with a 1 ton the rating on them is about 11,000 so your combined rating is 29,000-ish. If you are towing with a 1 ton, then you are also overloaded as they don't have a MFG rating to tow 18,000. Don't even get me started on USDOT numbers. (you do have them, right?)

The whole CDL and USDOT number deal is totally confusing and nearly impossible to get the straight dope on. So, you could be right. But it would be prudent to double check at the highway patrol office and see.

jb