loading fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by 2 man crew, Feb 20, 2004.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

What are some options for loading fertilizer by the pallet into a pick up? I'm going to have fertilizer delivered and keep my own stock. The building that will store the fert has a dirt floor. And I don't want to spend the money for a fork lift. Is there some thing small that will work on gravel or dirt?
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Your profile says you are 27 and you are worried about how to get a pallet of fert in your truck? How about one bag at a time. If this is a daunting challange for you, you may want to consider another line of work.
  3. Well said CEMARS!!!!!!!

More than once myself and a helper unloaded 12 ton of fertiler BY HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Time is money. You guys just keep doing it your way while I dust you to the bank. It's about being efficient not doing it the hard way. :confused:
  5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a more efficient cost efective way of doing this why did you ask.
  6. When you unload @ 15 ton fert per year, it isn't cost effective to by a forklift. How long does it take to load 40 bags of fert on truck anyway?????
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

the total trolley:D :D or a pallet jack and put a hydraulic lift gate on the truck
  8. MarsCo

MarsCo LawnSite Member

Getting the fert into the building can be down with a spyder on the back of the delivery truck, but you probably already know that.

Getting the fert into pick up takes 10 minutes with two guys for one pallet (maybe less!) I do it fairly often and I'm 59 years young! Do you load up a full pallet every day? Surely not more than one pallet per truck - how many trucks?

Hand loading may seem inefficient but for a pallet or less you probably can't beat it.
  9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Pallets slide

Be smart and load by hand.

I didn't once, Got into an accident that day and totaled a perfectly good pick up.

That was 5 years ago and I'm still plagued by head aches that the doc cant fix.

It doesnt matter how well you secure them pallets will slide

But hey, you be smart.
  10. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I have made home-made mini pallets that I hold 10 bags of fert on at a time. Then using an atatchment that I fabricated for my trree dolly I pick up the pallet and ropll them onto my trailer. 10 bags at a time is faster than 1. I don't know if that would help you get it in a p/u though.